Asian Cuisine : Your country's and your faves

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Asian Cuisine : Your country's and your faves

Pinas' Lechon is the best as quoted from that guy who travels around the world and tastes food from different countries in Discovery travel and living. I can only eat something like this once a year....

has to be my favorite fat-rich and unhealthy meat dish

my favorite foreign dish. Kimchi.........

Nice thread, making me hungry.

In leyte, the Tuna Kinilaw ( Vinegar cured Tuna) is a local favorite as meal or a complement to alcohol.

For my foreign Asian cuisine favorite, it is the Sichuan Mapu Tofu. Locals said that the well made Mapu Tofu represents the Sichuan province based on the ingredients used in making this sumptuous dish.

Comment

From Pampanga and Uruguay

From my dad's province: Pampanga, Philippines they're known for their cooking and my favourite from his province is Longanisa:

Besides food from the Philippines, I'm not a fan of Asian food but I would still like to share with you my favourite food of All Time: Asado Uruguayo

Asado Uruguayo is the traditional dish of Uruguay and is the "Rioplatense" version of cooking cuts of meat over a open fire using special South American wood. The one thing that differs from the Asado Argentino version is that the special sauce "Chimichurri" is spread on top of the meat while the meat is cooking so that the meat absorbs this rich sauce. Furthermore, the Argentinians use coal while the Uruguayans use a special type of wood to give the real South American smokey flavour to the meat.

Throughout Latin America as well as the Philippines, there are different versions of Asados.
      "No hay poder en el mundo que pueda cambiar el destino"
      -El Padrino

Comment

Originally posted by kaiziken_pinas View Post
        Pinas' Lechon is the best as quoted from that guy who travels around the world and tastes food from different countries in Discovery travel and living. I can only eat something like this once a year....
        Lechon = roasted pork? Looks good! The Chinese version (Kourou):

LordOfLeyte, my American friend who had been to Sichuan summed up the cuisine as "People over there eat f*** acid".

BTW, it just occurred to me, but with all the Filipino population in the U.S. I haven't seen 1 Filipino restaurant in the US yet, but I've been to Thai (curry!) and Cambodian/Vietnamese (spicy!) restaurants.
        aim low, score high

Comment

Sizzling Sisig , Chicharon Bulaklak, Kinilaw na Malasuge. I'll post pics as soon as I find one.

Comment

Originally posted by Saskibaloia View Post
            From my dad's province: Pampanga, Philippines they're known for their cooking and my favourite from his province is Longanisa:

Besides food from the Philippines, I'm not a fan of Asian food but I would still like to share with you my favourite food of All Time: Asado Uruguayo

Asado Uruguayo is the traditional dish of Uruguay and is the "Rioplatense" version of cooking cuts of meat over a open fire using special South American wood. The one thing that differs from the Asado Argentino version is that the special sauce "Chimichurri" is spread on top of the meat while the meat is cooking so that the meat absorbs this rich sauce. Furthermore, the Argentinians use coal while the Uruguayans use a special type of wood to give the real South American smokey flavour to the meat.

Throughout Latin America as well as the Philippines, there are different versions of Asados.
            Nice! I'm from Pampanga too. Longanisa in Pampanga is sweet compared to ones made in other provinces.

Comment

This probably makes me look like the ugly American, but I really like Chinese lo mein. Yes, I know that American-Chinese food is different from Chinese-Chinese food, but it's still really tasty.

"I really like the attitudes of eagles. They never give up. When they grab a fish or something else, they never let it go. It doesn't matter. In a book, they write they find a skeleton of [an] eagle and there is no fish. It means that the fish beat him and killed him, but he didn't let go." -- Donatas Motiejunas

Comment

Originally posted by mvblair View Post
                Yes, I know that American-Chinese food is different from Chinese-Chinese food, but it's still really tasty.
                No need to say that, Matt. There is no such thing as "Chinese-Chinese" food, because regional variation is huge in China, even in the same province. As long as the basic techniques are there it is considered Chinese in my book. Plus, it's not like American-Chinese food uses a lot of ingredients from other cultures (that's only Ming Tsai).

The only distinct "American" part in American-Chinese food is fortune cookie. If you know someone fresh of the boat from China and you give him a fortune cookie to eat, 9 out of 10 times he'll be eating the paper in it because he wouldn't know
                aim low, score high

Comment

Which reminds me... I must go get my dinner done
                  Die Liebe wird eine Krankheit, wenn man sie als eine Heilung sieht
                  Artificial Nature

Comment

Originally posted by sinobball View Post
                    LordOfLeyte, my American friend who had been to Sichuan summed up the cuisine as "People over there eat f*** acid".

BTW, it just occurred to me, but with all the Filipino population in the U.S. I haven't seen 1 Filipino restaurant in the US yet, but I've been to Thai (curry!) and Cambodian/Vietnamese (spicy!) restaurants.

I'm sorry that your friend found the taste of Sichuan cuisine undelighting, but as for me, I loved their cuisine.

The only Filipino Restaurant I have read about in the US is located in San Francisco named Max's Fried Chicken where their specialty is Chicken prepared the Filipino way and they serve other Filipino dishes too.

Then there's Jollibee Fastfood which is owned by a Chinese-Filipino and they have three branches in CA and a branch in New York city.

Comment

Lechon = roasted pork? Looks good! The Chinese version (Kourou):

yup! roasted pork. chinese version looks SWEET. i like sweet meat.

this is the famous La Paz Batchoy, noodles with all kinds of meat in it. made by soldiers in WW2. it's from my hometown in iloilo.

does this look icky? it's balut. Good with San miguel beer. it actually tastes nice.

Comment

does this look icky? it's balut. Good with San miguel beer. it actually tastes nice.
                        Yikes! Now I know why there are hardly any Filipino restaurants in the U.S.

In China we eat eggs like this:

aim low, score high

Comment

Yikes! Now I know why there are hardly any Filipino restaurants in the U.S.

In China we eat eggs like this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Century_egg
                          lol. Balut is just a street food. There are Pinoy Restos in the US, heard of jollibee? lol

How does a 100year old egg taste like?

Comment

lol. Balut is just a street food. There are Pinoy Restos in the US, heard of jollibee? lol
                            No but I just checked... only in certain regions in the US (with large Filipino populations)....
                            Find a Jollibee restaurant near you! Search our store locator to get started. Order tender juicy fried chicken & other fan favorites today. Joy served daily!

(Also Max's Fried Chicken only in California)

But one day I will eat Filipino food, I just didn't take the time to search for it.

Food can only be eaten, it can't be explained

That "longanisa" looks a lot like China's "xiangchang", do you hang them up like this

But frankly don't all sausages in the world look the same...
                            aim low, score high

Comment

Originally posted by LordOfLeyte View Post
                              I'm sorry that your friend found the taste of Sichuan cuisine undelighting, but as for me, I loved their cuisine.
                              Have you been to Sichuan? It's probably different over there, you know. I've never been to Sichuan but some of those supposedly Sichuan "hot pots" can already kill me. And I actually like spicy food.

That does look kind of scary ...
                              aim low, score high

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information