Thomas Tab Baldwin New Lebanese Basketball Head Coach

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thomas Tab Baldwin New Lebanese Basketball Head Coach

Not bad, Good coach he can Help Lebanese NT ...
    + he have a long term contract ...
    Good luck For Baldwin And for Our NT
    Discuss And give your opinion about this coach..

Thomas Tab Baldwin Profile:

Position: Head Coach
    Born: 1958
    Team: Kepez Bld (Turkey) (2009-10)
    Nationality: - New Zealand
    Previous teams:
    Auckland (New Zealand)
    Thomas Baldwin Basketball Career

Thomas Baldwin (Photo: NZOOM)
    Born: May 16, 1958 in Jacksonville, Florida, USA
    Full name: Thomas Antoni Baldwich
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Head Coach:
    1983-1986: Auburn-Montgomery (NCAA2)
    1986-1988: Cent.Florida (NCAA)
    1988-1990: Otago Nuggets (New Zealand)
    1991: Southland Under-18s
    Coach Assistant:
    1992: Auckland
    Head Coach:
    1994-2000: Auckland
    2001: Auckland
    2004-2005: In Jan.'05 signed at Banvit Basketbol Kulübü (Turkey-D1)
    2005-2006: Banvit Basketbol Kulübü (Turkey-D1)
    2007-2008: PAOK Marfin Thessaloniki (Greece-A1), left in Dec.'07, next month was hired by Univ Mobitelco Cluj Napoca (Romania-Div.A)
    2008-2009: Univ Mobitelco Cluj Napoca (Romania-Div.A)
    2009-2010: Kepez Bld Antalya (Turkey-TBL), left in Feb.'10
    Awards/Achievements:
    New Zealand Champion -95, 97, 99, 00
    New Zealand Coach of the Year -95, 97, 99
    Head Coach: New Zealand National Team -01-06
    New Zealand NZBL All-Star Game -01
    New Zealand League Semifinals -01
    Goodwill Games in Brisbane (Australia) - 01
    World Championships in Indianapolis (USA) -02
    Olympic Games in Athens -04
    FIBA Europe Cup South Conference Champion -05
    FIBA Europe Cup Semifinals -05
    Commonwealth Games in Melbourne -06 (Silver)
    Turkish League Semifinals -06
    Eurobasket.com All-Turkish League Coach of the Year -06
    World Championships in Japan -06
    Romanian League Finalist -08
    Romanian League All-Star Game -09

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

He remains the most victorious coach in the history of the New Zealand NBL. In 2001, he took the reins of the National Team. By winning the 2001 FIBA Oceania championship, the Tall Blacks qualified to the 2002 FIBA World Championship and even reached the semi-finals - the best performance by an Oceania team in the history of FIBA World Championship. Baldwin has coached Banvitspor in Turkey, PAOK Thessaloniki B.C. in Greece and U Mobitelco Cluj in Romania.
    Baldwin was made an Honorary Officer of the New Zealand Order of Merit in the New Year Honours 2003, for services to basketball.

Originally from Jacksonville Florida, he left Notre Dame University with an accountancy degree and came to New Zealand in 1988 to help Otago gain promotion from the second division into the national league. He also masterminded the dynasty that saw Auckland win five NBL titles in six years from 1995-2000. He became the New Zealand National Coach in 2001.

*As former coach of the NZ Tall Blacks. he guided them to a remarkable fourth place finish at the World Championsips at the 2002 FIBA World Championships in Indianapolis.

*The world basketball championships topped off a fairytale run for the Tall Blacks during 2002. They scored a stunning series win over Australia to become the Oceania qualifiers for the world championships. During their build-up they scored wins over higher ranked Hungary, China and the defending world champions Yugoslavia.

*They went into the Indianapolis Championships with a world ranking of 23, and in pool play scored come-from-behind wins over Russia and China and then toppled Puerto Rico in the quarterfinals to reach the final four.

*Their performance at the world championships earned the Tall Blacks a place at the 2004 Athens Olympics, and also gained Oceania a second automatic berth at those Games. In recognition of his contribution to basketball Tab was made an Honorary Officer of the Order of Merit in the 2003 New Year Honours list.

*Further accolades followed with the Tall Blacks receiving both the Teams Award and prestigious Supreme award at the Halberg Awards with Tab taking out Coach of the Year the same evening.

*Recent performances at the 2004 Athens Olympics and 2006 Commonwealth Games showed their class with close scores against the top world teams.

*Tab is now coaching overseas in Europe but continues to monitor the continued development of Basketball New Zealand’s elite athletes and coaches. His Turkish club Banvitspor reached it's first ever playoff making the semi-finals in just its second season in 1st Division and he's now coaching in Romania

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Last edited by gazara; 04-10-2010, 12:49 PM.
    Proud To Be Lebanese

Live Streaming On LBCI Site :http://www.lbcgroup.tv/sports

Source:

Lebanese Basketball Group on FB (THX TO ROY HAJJ FOR ALL THE STATS)

www.sports-leb.com

www.sportkello.com

http://www.malaeeb.com/

Excellent choice, that's really great!
    Wish him the best of luck with the Lebanese NT.

Thomas Anthony "Tab" Baldwin ONZM (born 16 May 1958, Jacksonville, United States) is an American-New Zealand basketball coach, currently employed by Kepez Belediyespor of the Turkish Basketball League.
    [edit]History

Baldwin was born in Florida and came from Jacksonville Beach to New Zealand in 1988 to coach the Otago Nuggets.[1]
    He was promoted with them from the second division to the NBL and then joined the Auckland Stars in 1994.[2] In eight seasons with Auckland, he won 5 NBL titles (1995, 96, 97, 99 and 2000) and was named NBL Coach of the Year three times (1995, 97 and 99).
    He remains the most victorious coach in the history of the New Zealand NBL. In 2001, he took the reins of the National Team. By winning the 2001 FIBA Oceania championship, the Tall Blacks qualified to the 2002 FIBA World Championship and even reached the semi-finals - the best performance by an Oceania team in the history of FIBA World Championship. Baldwin has coached Banvitspor in Turkey, PAOK Thessaloniki B.C. in Greece and U Mobitelco Cluj in Romania.
    Baldwin was made an Honorary Officer of the New Zealand Order of Merit in the New Year Honours 2003, for services to basketball.[3]
    [edit]Other information

Club Team 2009-10: Kepez Belediyespor, Turkey
    Coaching Career: Auburn Montgomery (USA-NCAA Division II, 1983-86), Central Florida (USA-NCAA Division I, 1986-88), Otago Nuggets (New Zealand-NBL, 1988-90), Auckland Stars (New Zealand-NBL, 1994-2001), Banvitspor (Turkey-TBL, 2004-06), PAOK Thessaloniki B.C. (Greece-A1, 2007-08), U Mobitelco Cluj (Romania-Divizia A, Dec 2007 - Jun 2009), Kepez Antalya Sep 2009-Dec 2009
    International Coaching Career: Head coach of New Zealand national basketball team (2001-06).

(Wikipedia)

When head coach of the Tall Blacks:

In 2001 they defeated Australia in a three-game series to qualify for the 2002 FIBA World Championships in Indianapolis. At the tournament they finished fourth, after beating Puerto Rico in the quarter-finals before losses to Yugoslavia and Germany. Tall Blacks captain Pero Cameron was the only non-NBA player named to the all-tournament team in Indianapolis.
    The Tall Blacks qualified for the 2004 Athens Olympics but again finished with a 1-5 record and lost to Australia in the playoff for ninth place. Their most noted moment was on the 7th day of the games, when they beat Serbia and Montenegro (the world champions) 90:87.

The Tall Blacks went on a South-American tour in 2006 as a lead up to the FIBA Basketball World Championships. They played Argentina (Olympic Champions and runners up in 2002 FIBA Championships), Brazil and Venezuela. They played four games against each country. The Tall Blacks got swept by Argentina and Brazil. They only managed one win against Venezuela but still loss the series 3-1.

In 2006, a few months before the FIBA world championships. The Tall blacks took on the Australian Boomers in a post-tournament 4 game series. The Tall Blacks won a 2 game tie by points difference. The Tall Blacks also swept Qatar in a 2 game match up post tournament as well.
    In 2006, the Tall Blacks were not to repeat their fourth-place finish as in 2002. Instead, they finished in the final 16 of the FIBA Basketball World Championships, after a second round loss to Argentina, 79-62 which knocked them out of the tournament.

After that disappointment, Tab Balwin resigned as the coach of the Tall Blacks, and the position was, as ,expected, replaced by Nenad Vucinic, his long time assistant coach. The Tall Blacks just managed to make it to the final 16 as they were beaten by: Spain, 86-70 (New 2006 FIBA World Champions), Germany, 80-56, Angola, 95-73.

Their only wins coming from: Panama, 86-75 Japan, 60-57.
    The Tall Blacks 'fourth place' spot went to Argentina, the very team who knocked them out, and swept them in the post tournament series.

2000: 11th
    2004: 10th
    2002 FIBA World Championship: 4th
    2006 FIBA World Championship: 16th
    Probably the most well-known former New Zealand Tall Black player in the National Basketball Association is Phoenix Suns forward Sean Marks, who is in his fifth NBA season. Another New Zealand player, former University of Wisconsin-Madison star Kirk Penney, signed in 2005 with two-time defending Euroleague champions Maccabi Tel Aviv.

http://www.search.com/reference/New_...asketball_team
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGm8yh7amQI

Comment

good choice gd luck to our nt

Comment

Here are some excerpts from interviews he made:

Let’s go a little bit to the 2002 World Championships. New Zealand was ranked before the championship 23rd in the world, but you reached the semifinals. You had only one NBA player, I’m talking about Sean Marks. Did you do something magic? What did you tell the players in order to build that amount of confidence?

I think when we look back it felt magical. It felt like we have experienced something that went beyond. Just let’s do a great job, prepare and go out there and play great basketball. It was beyond that. There was a real sense that as in that was just like in that English saying that says “the whole is greater than the sum of the parts”. And there was an absolute sense that that had taken place to our team. That if you’d break us into 4 team individuals, none of us probably even belonged on that stage. But when you put us all together we were able to do some things in that tournament that defied everybody’s expectations and everybody’s belief. I don’t think that was any particular thing that you could put your finger on and say it was that particular thing that we did that allowed us to do that. It was more like a snowball begin to roll and we became a force. I don’t think we were a force when we went there, but we became a force through a combination of great chemistry and finally successes. Beating yougoslavia and Germany in the preparations, beating Canada. We had some veryy good wins along the way, that built a level of confidence and belief in the team and we had players that were two a man. Every single was dedicated to the job not to themselves.

Was a special atmosphere, let’s say family like. How would you describe it?

It was beyond family. I would compare it more probably to a battle field mentality where there was no question, that whatever it was required of us to sacrifice, we would make the sacrifice and we would do it knowing that we would contribute to the overall effort and we would do it happily. And that was everything from players diving for loose ball to coaches working till 4 in the morning on video-session, night after night, after night, to the physiotherapist giving eight hours of massage therapy a day. Whatever it required. It was an incredibly exhausting experience, but it was the same for everybody, but I think we went further than everybody else in terms of what we were prepared to do to be successful. And I think in the end everybody spoke of what a great success it was, we felt it was a pretty significant failure that we didn’t beat Yugoslavia in the semis and have a crack at Argentina in the Final. We never get our mind to the point that this is satisfying, this is phenomenal and we have done this and we can sit back and be happy. We were absolutely devastated that we lost in that semifinal. I think the affection of our fans back home and the outpouring of support and pride helped us recover quickly, but it doesn’t take away how devastated we were.

complete interview on http://danduma.wordpress.com/2008/08...win-interview/

HalfCourt – Going back in time, 2002 and 4th place at the World Cup with the Tall Blacks has been the best moment of your life ?

Tab Baldwin - Tremendous moment for me. Although draining, I was working for few years 2 jobs, for a Basketball Performance association in New Zealand and the national team, and then I was coaching Banvitspor, the Turkish team, and the Kiwi national team in the same time. You need an off-season and I wasn’t getting that. I hated to leave New Zealand.

HalfCourt – How would you characterize yourself as a coach ?
        Tab Baldwin –I’m more focused to the defensive end. I don’t like the European style of basketball the one that Americans use right now. That one says this player is PG that one is a SG and so on. I like complete players. Complete players that play complete type of basketball .

HalfCourt – Could you be more detailed with your defense ?
        I’ve been working a lot of years on a specific type of complex defense and I tried to implement that to my new team. I mix man-to-man with zone, sometimes during the same possession. All my players can play all of type the defenses. The frequency of the execution though is the problem we have from time to time. But we’re getting there.

complete interview on http://www.halfcourt.info/A55B25/Hal...8?OpenDocument
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGm8yh7amQI

Comment

congratulations guys. solid credentials and a legitimate final 4 appearance on World Championship with the Tall Blacks. His presence on Lebanon NT would truly step up the level of your NT and Asian basketball as a whole.

SK also has Lenny Wilkens as its NT coach as reported. This will really be good on Asian Basketball in general.

What would happen to Dragan Raca though? Doesn't he have solid following in Lebanon. How about Abou Chakra?

Comment

Finally
            Congrats
            He's a very good coach with great credentials. Hope he can fit well with our NT and be able to take them to the second round in the upcoming World Championships.

Comment

The good thing is that Thomas is going to stay for a long period , thats why Moncho Monsalve didn't sign bcz he wanted to coach our team for a short period.

Hope the American school will fit our team!
              Proud to be Lebanese
              www.arabasket.com

Comment

Good choice lats hope for the best...

Hope he doesn't ask the players to perform dabke before each game.

Comment

wise decision by our federation it seems he has a good profile.

And if he is staying for a long period it will let him discover better our players, find their weaknesses, our national team weak spots and work on them.
                  I am sure he will be able to choose the right players in the right positions.
                  Lebanon mother land of the phoenicians! 7000 years of culture and history and still BEIRUT is "PARIS OF THE MIDDLE EAST"

LONG LIVE THE CEDARS

Comment

you can check tomorrow a very important interview with Pierre Kakhia on this website on www.sports-leb.com.
                    Kakhia spoke about NT preparations,players,coach,youth team,female team,the league,sponsors....
                    Proud to be Lebanese
                    www.arabasket.com

Comment

dani how much will be tab baldwin contract money wise ? great job by the way in the intereviews gd luck

Comment

Originally posted by daniab View Post
                        you can check tomorrow a very important interview with Pierre Kakhia on this website on www.sports-leb.com.
                        Kakhia spoke about NT preparations,players,coach,youth team,female team,the league,sponsors....
                        did he mention something about the trips that will be organized for lebanese fans to turkey or he left the subject till thursday?
                        History will write --> "In 2009, China stole the asian cup from Lebanon"

Comment

Originally posted by rtk04 View Post
                          did he mention something about the trips that will be organized for lebanese fans to turkey or he left the subject till thursday?
                          yes for sure , wait for the interview tomorrow
                          Proud to be Lebanese
                          www.arabasket.com

Comment

Originally posted by bblover View Post
                            dani how much will be tab baldwin contract money wise ? great job by the way in the intereviews gd luck
                            i dunno man , he didnt accept to reveal such details and thanks appreciated!
                            Proud to be Lebanese
                            www.arabasket.com

Comment

i hope the flb did finalise the deal because on lebanese goal it's not mentioned.
                              and i hope he picks his assistant coaches and not abu chakra.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information