This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Philippines NT 2010

guys...what are your suggestions for the RP lineup for our next olympic bid!!!
    Feel free to speak your mind...

my suggestions:

Coach: Yeng Guiao or foreign(european of american) coach
    Staff: Filipino assistants and foreign trainers and consultants
    Centers:
    6"9 Japeth Aguilar
    7"0 Ronnie Aguilar (if filipino...)
    6"11 Greg Slaughter
    6"10 Eman Samigue

Forwards:
    6"7 Sam Ekwe (naturalize)
    6"6 Nino Canaleta
    6"7 Sonny Thoss
    6"7 Kelly Williams
    6"5 Gabe Norwood

Guards:
    6"2 James Yap
    6"0 Mike Cortez
    6"2 Ryan Reyes
    6"4 Rich Alvarez

thread open.
    NEW ORLEANS HORNETS 2008

Aheheh. Yeng Giuao!!!

Great credentials...

Playing coach of the Year!!!
    Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

PBA's Sixth Man of the Year!!!

Aheheh. Peace bros. Just for fun!

Comment

Originally posted by injury
      Aheheh. Yeng Giuao!!!

Great credentials...

Playing coach of the Year!!!
      Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

PBA's Sixth Man of the Year!!!

Aheheh. Peace bros. Just for fun!
      let me repost your vids bro for us to see

btw, as I said before, if it wont be Coach Chot, my 2nd best bet is my fave, Coach Yeng Guiao

*if the Photokina Franchise is really going to sell its dying franchise due to financial problems, then Yeng Guiao would be available for other coaching commitments
      It's ironic to see limited efforts from players with maximum salary.
      I wish they would apply "sabermetrics" in those financially challenged PBA teams to acquire players who are value for their money.

Comment

Originally posted by JET007
        guys...what are your suggestions for the RP lineup for our next olympic bid!!!
        Feel free to speak your mind...

my suggestions:

Coach: Yeng Guiao or foreign(european of american) coach
        Staff: Filipino assistants and foreign trainers and consultants
        Centers:
        6"9 Japeth Aguilar
        7"0 Ronnie Aguilar (if filipino...)
        6"11 Greg Slaughter
        6"10 Eman Samigue

Forwards:
        6"7 Sam Ekwe (naturalize)
        6"6 Nino Canaleta
        6"7 Sonny Thoss
        6"7 Kelly Williams
        6"5 Gabe Norwood

Guards:
        6"2 James Yap
        6"0 Mike Cortez
        6"2 Ryan Reyes
        6"4 Rich Alvarez

thread open.

i disagree with you on Rich Alvarez and with Nino Canaleta, yeah their tall but they wont have a chance in the international competitions. have you seen canaleta's game during the jones cup. he justs shoots from 3's even if it's a fast break and doesn't bother to set the play first. What can i say about Rich he cant penetrate, he cant shoot the 3's.

Id recommend
        Anthony Espiritu or Dylan Ababou for guards, Jay Wash or Joe Devance for Forwards
        you know why I am happy

Comment

this is my 2010 rpnt line-up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

centers:
          6'11 greg slaugther
          6'9 japeth aguilar
          6'7 sonny thoss
          6'7 j.r reyes
          forwards:
          6'6 kerby raymundo
          6'5 kelly williams
          6'4 arwin santos
          guards:
          6'0 mac cardona
          6'3 james yap
          6'6 gabe norwood
          5'8 jimmy alapag
          6'2 ryan reyes

coach: tim cone
          asst. derrick pemaren
          asst. norman black

quote: if ronnie aguilar is a fil-am he will replace thoss here and if chiu is ready maybe kerby has to give his spot! coach yeng is ok, but remember he is also a politician in pampnga so i think his time is questionable,ryt? PILIPINASSSSSSSSSSS........RP TEAM!!!!!!!!!!
          Last edited by hari ng basketball; 08-06-2007, 01:39 PM.

Comment

My Theoretical Line-Up

as far as my cranium is concerned, I came up with this line-up...
            I believe that the core of the recent SMC-RP team must be preserved, as well as the head coach..

I believe that we can't just put in tall players (and we can't teach height, but we can develop talent), we can't turn an undersized RP NT to match other team's height with a little span of time. cohesion and teamwork will be much better if you put in a team that has played for years and making a new line-up will worsen the pursuit for a cohesive team.

Jimmy Alapag
            <- FIBA Asia Veteran (I believe he's still fit by that time)
            JJ Helterbrand <- FIBA Asia Veteran (I hope he'll improve more)
            Ren Ren Ritualo <- FIBA Asia Veteran (He'll get better, that's for sure)
            James Yap <- almost a FIBA Asia Veteran (minus the señorito attitude)
            Don Don Hontiveros<- FIBA Asia Veteran (make it his last stint for the RP NT)
            Gabe Norwood <- FIBA Asia Veteran (he's still young, and a long way to go)
            Kelly Williams <- FIBA Asia Veteran (he's a workhorse)
            Kerby Raymundo <- FIBA Asia Veteran (he's got a big heart at his age)
            Jay Washington <- part of the RP training pool back in 2004 (let's see)
            Gian Chiu <- the newcomer, he should start young, he's an investment (let's see too)
            Japeth Aguilar<- part of the RP training pool back in 2004 (hope he will make a difference)
            Sonny Thoss <- part of the RP training pool back in 2004 (his time has come)

when I meant the core, I meant more than 50% of the team should be formed from the recent RP NT, wherein this 12 players of mine is composed of 7 FIBA Asia veterans

and about the continuity of the training program, all of these players *except Gian Chiu, had been part of the RP team that competed internationally, and Japeth Aguilar was part of the RP team training at the Moro Lorenzo Gym back then before he went to the US (back then, Coach Chot was already looking towards the future)

winning isnt everything, we have to invest on young players for them to get ripe when they reach their prime, not the other way around wherein we send players who are in their prime and ends up like rookies in international basketball
            I wish they would apply "sabermetrics" in those financially challenged PBA teams to acquire players who are value for their money.

Comment

Originally posted by saints13
              as far as my cranium is concerned, I came up with this line-up...
              I believe that the core of the recent SMC-RP team must be preserved, as well as the head coach..

I believe that we can't just put in tall players (and we can't teach height, but we can develop talent), we can't turn an undersized RP NT to match other team's height with a little span of time. cohesion and teamwork will be much better if you put in a team that has played for years and making a new line-up will worsen the pursuit for a cohesive team.

Jimmy Alapag
              <- FIBA Asia Veteran (I believe he's still fit by that time)
              JJ Helterbrand <- FIBA Asia Veteran (I hope he'll improve more)
              Ren Ren Ritualo <- FIBA Asia Veteran (He'll get better, that's for sure)
              James Yap <- almost a FIBA Asia Veteran (minus the señorito attitude)
              Don Don Hontiveros<- FIBA Asia Veteran (make it his last stint for the RP NT)
              Gabe Norwood <- FIBA Asia Veteran (he's still young, and a long way to go)
              Kelly Williams <- FIBA Asia Veteran (he's a workhorse)
              Kerby Raymundo <- FIBA Asia Veteran (he's got a big heart at his age)
              Jay Washington <- part of the RP training pool back in 2004 (let's see)
              Gian Chiu <- the newcomer, he should start young, he's an investment (let's see too)
              Japeth Aguilar<- part of the RP training pool back in 2004 (hope he will make a difference)
              Sonny Thoss <- part of the RP training pool back in 2004 (his time has come)

when I meant the core, I meant more than 50% of the team should be formed from the recent RP NT, wherein this 12 players of mine is composed of 7 FIBA Asia veterans

and about the continuity of the training program, all of these players *except Gian Chiu, had been part of the RP team that competed internationally, and Japeth Aguilar was part of the RP team training at the Moro Lorenzo Gym back then before he went to the US (back then, Coach Chot was already looking towards the future)

winning isnt everything, we have to invest on young players for them to get ripe when they reach their prime, not the other way around wherein we send players who are in their prime and ends up like rookies in international basketball

I would remove Jayjay and replace with a younger PG. This should allow Jimmy to do majority of the point-guard tasks while his younger back-up slowly learn.

I'm not sure about Gian Chiu as I think his main priority is attending medical school. However, if he chooses to play for Team Pilipinas then he should be trained by an expert as soon as possible.

I like the way Dondon plays for our National Team, but I guess he will be old by then. So I would remove Dondon and replace him with James Yap. I'm hoping James could also improve his defense.

These are the players from the current team that I would still consider as part of the pool: Jimmy Alapag, James Yap, Gabe Norwood, Kelly Williams, Kerby Raymundo, Ranidel de Ocampo.

Younger players that I would like to see in the training pool for 2009/2010 are Sonnt Thoss, Japeth Aguilar, LA Tenorio, Chris Pacana, Alex Cabagnot, JC Intal, Joe Devance.

The pool should have at least 20-40 players constantly practicing. By the end of the year there should be 15-man line-up that will eventually be trimmed to 12 a month or two before FIBA-Asia 2009 starts.

Comment

2010 is too far there so many players that will come out by that time...

Comment

Originally posted by TauNgaVa
                  2010 is too far there so many players that will come out by that time...
                  I really think so more players will come, especially those who are away from our radars..more Norwoods and Williams to come

Comment

RP Team 2010

Coaching Staff :

Ruben Magnano (former Argentina Coach - vast accomplishments in international BB including shaming US team twice, first in 2002 World Champs then in 2004 Athens Olympics, speaks English and became San Antonio Spurs assistant coach at one time. He must coach RP full time. . .

Assistant Coaches :

Erik Spoelstra - currently assistant coach for Miami Heat, a Filipino -
                    American; Expert in devising gameplans and improving young players BB skills through computer simulations. . . can be part-time assistant during NBA off-season, meaning he could spend his summer with RP team. . .

Chip Engelland - currently assistant coach for San antonio Spurs, a naturalized Filipino and has played for RP team. . . Expert in improving players' shooting skills. . . can also be part-time assistant during NBA off-season(summer)

Chot Reyes - must slide to assistant coach. . . why include him? first, he is quite dedicated to RP team and second, to incorporate some of the thing he started, and he is quite familiar with majority of RP players. . .

15 Man Team

Michael Palarca - US NCAA Div 1 player (PG) 5-10 aside from him no more
                    player below six feet
                    Japeth Aguilar - US NCAA Div 1 player
                    Gabe Norwood (he must not play in PBA or PBL, where deskilling of his BB is likely, I hope he would get offers from European leagues, the
                    same thing I hope would like happen to Japeth)
                    Kelly Williams
                    Kerby Raymundo
                    Samigue Eman (if he continue to improve)
                    James Yap
                    Jay Washington
                    Sonny Thoss
                    Nino Canaleta
                    Ranidel de Ocampo
                    Gian Chiu (if available)
                    one naturalized player (must have NBA and European league experience with
                    height 6"9" to 7"0")
                    I would reserve 2 remaining slots for coaching staff to choose. . .

Take note: All these players will be under 30 years old in 2010. . .

Comment

My 2010 ( sa aking lang naman )

12 Man team ( pwedeng pang NBA Live )

Asi Taulava -FIBA/Asian Games/International Experience, good for 1 more stint, but as a back-up/off the bench.
                      Kerby Raymundo - FIBA/International Experience
                      Danny Siegel - FIBA/Asian Games/International Experience, still good for several international stint, hopefully a healthy dynamite Danny in the coming years.
                      Jimmy Alapag - FIBA Experience, the number 1 PG in the team.
                      Dondon Hontiveroz - FIBA/Asian Games/International Experience, RP needs his experience in playing international ball.
                      Renren Ritualo - FIBA Experience, outside gunner.
                      Gabe Norwood - FIBA Experience, can play the PG or SG position, depends on the tempo of the game.
                      Kelly Williams - FIBA Experience, proved his worth in team last FIBA Asia.
                      James Yap - Jones Cup and International Experience, former RP Youth Team member. Can make his own shot na hindi chamba.

thats the holdovers from the recent team, the core of RP NT 2007. now, the new bloods.

Greg Slaughter - they said he's the 2nd coming of EJ Feihl, but who cares, we need is height.
                      Japeth Aguilar - although hasn't prove anything in US NCAA. he's in for his defense, height, and heart.
                      Sam Ekwe - naturalize this one, and we have a Ben Wallace wannabe. Sam can concentrate on Rebounds, Defense, and Gulang on the court.

We can put 3 reserves
                      Pure PG not a PG/scorer.
                      1 Experienced Big Man like Sonny Thoss
                      1 Forward who can play the SF position like Jay Washington, if ever the SF's like Siegel is injured he can be a good replacement.

Mixed with Experienced and Young Players.
                      Practice makes perfect, but nobody's perfect, so why practice?

Comment

Ekwe, Aguilar, Slaughter, a Serbian for NT center?

Originally posted by thugpinoy
                        Greg Slaughter - they said he's the 2nd coming of EJ Feihl, but who cares, we need is height.
                        Japeth Aguilar - although hasn't prove anything in US NCAA. he's in for his defense, height, and heart.
                        Sam Ekwe - naturalize this one, and we have a Ben Wallace wannabe. Sam can concentrate on Rebounds, Defense, and Gulang on the court.
                        Summit to tackle basketball issues
                        By Joaquin Henson
                        Tuesday, August 7, 2007

POC first vice president and Rep. Monico Puentevella said yesterday he will push for a two-day basketball summit in Cebu within the next two months to determine the future of the sport in the country after the national team’s failure to clinch an Olympic ticket in the FIBA-Asia qualifiers in Tokushima.

Puentevella was in Tokushima to witness the Philippines‚ crash and came back with PBA chairman Ricky Vargas after the first round of eliminations last Tuesday.

“It will be a working summit among basketball leaders all over the country,” said Puentevella. “We’ll ask (national coach) Chot Reyes to brief us on our international objectives. We’ll also look at our domestic objectives. I’m suggesting Cebu as the site to make it easier for our Mindanao officials to attend. Michel (Lhuillier) was in Tokushima and I’m sure he will be happy to host.”

Lhuillier is a member of the SBP Board of Trustees.

Puentevella said there are lessons to be learned from the collapse in Tokushima and instead of sulking, the national team should be mapping out plans of getting back on track for the 2009 FIBA-Asia World Championship qualifiers, the 2010 World Championships, the 2010 Asian Games, the 2011 FIBA-Asia Olympic qualifiers and the 2012 London Olympics.

An issue for discussion in the summit is whether or not to recruit a naturalized player for the national team, mentioned Puentevella. He said FIBA allows a country to draft one naturalized citizen to compensate for the handicap of countries with undersized players or gaps in their lineups.

FIBA previously permitted two naturalized players per country. In 1986, the Philippines used the rule to its advantage, taking in Dennis Still and Jeff Moore to reinforce the national squad that beat China in the finals of the FIBA-Asia Championships in Kuala Lumpur.

In Tokushima, at least three countries enlisted naturalized players – Lebanon with Joe Vogel of Colorado State, Jordan with Rasheim Wright of District of Columbia and Japan with J. R. Henderson (now Sakuragi) of UCLA.

Countries that recruited naturalized players in the past include the US (Hakeem Olajuwon, Pat Ewing), Russia (J. R. Holden), Japan (Dan Weiss, Eric McArthur), Spain (Wayne Brabender, Clifford Luyk, Antonio Sibilio, Juan Antonio de la Cruz), France (Crawford Palmer), Venezuela (Askia Jones) and Australia (Ricky Grace, C. J. Bruton).

“It was evident in Tokushima how dependent we were on Asi (Taulava) as our only big man,” said Puentevella. “When Asi got hurt, we had no one to turn to. We could‚ve used a naturalized player who’s 6-11 or 7-feet. The rule to use a naturalized player is there. We used it before. We need someone who can control the boards. Look at Jordan. Their naturalized player (Wright) destroyed us.”

Puentevella said he spoke with the Korean team’s Daniel Sandrin of Seattle Pacific University in Tokushima and was surprised by his comments. It wasn’t certain if Sandrin is a Korean-American, therefore qualifying as a local, or a naturalized citizen. But he was born and raised in the US.

“Sandrin told me he couldn’t relate with the Koreans because they hardly speak English,” said Puentevella. “He felt more comfortable with our team. He agreed we got a bad deal from the referee in the Iran game.”

Puentevella said a candidate for naturalization is San Beda’s 6-8 center Sam Ekwe of Nigeria.

“If Ekwe gets better and matures, we should consider him if he wants to be naturalized,” said Puentevella. “We should also look at our local boys, like Japeth Aguilar (now playing for Western Kentucky) and this 19-year-old kid from Cebu (6-11 Greg Fuentes-Slaughter). I heard we can recruit a tall Serbian but the good ones would rather play for their country.”

Puentevella said the national team must be more familiar with the international style to make an impact. That will mean more foreign exposure and learning from teams with Olympic success like Argentina.

Puentevella said the two-day summit should also address the issues of grassroots development, standardization of rules and the PBA’s continuing commitment to lend players for the national team.

Comment

Originally posted by hari ng basketball
                          centers:
                          6'11 greg slaugther
                          6'9 japeth aguilar
                          6'7 sonny thoss
                          6'7 j.r reyes
                          forwards:
                          6'6 kerby raymundo
                          6'5 kelly williams
                          6'4 arwin santos
                          guards:
                          6'0 mac cardona
                          6'3 james yap
                          6'6 gabe norwood
                          5'8 jimmy alapag
                          6'2 ryan reyes

coach: tim cone
                          asst. derrick pemaren
                          asst. norman black

quote: if ronnie aguilar is a fil-am he will replace thoss here and if chiu is ready maybe kerby has to give his spot! coach yeng is ok, but remember he is also a politician in pampnga so i think his time is questionable,ryt? PILIPINASSSSSSSSSSS........RP TEAM!!!!!!!!!!
                          Almost PERFECT..We have the same idea..what a coincidence man!but who knows 2010 is a long span..many versatile players will come up so it might change..i think the best time to choose for players are the mid of 2008 and then start training for 1 yr for wcb qualifiers!we dont need to naturalize a player..we just nid to maximize our players here and explore half-fil players out there..and change our system!i like team cone style of coaching..lots of teamplay!but i rather choose coach chot over pumaren for asistant!for coach yeng..i doubt it!we can have lot of technicals if he's the one who will handle the team!coach s interbarangay pwede p..kht mkipagrambulan tau dun!hehehe PROUD TO BE ALL PINOY!PINOY DREAM TEAM ACADEMY ON THE MAKING..a luxurious prize awaits for the winners..a chance to play for world championships, international exposures, will serve as a step to play in nba!so hurry limited slots only!so come and get it!
                          this philippine copyright for the auditions for pinoy dream team academy, may not be retransmitted, or reproduce, only for this forum!wekekek

Comment

Originally posted by pinoyballer
                            Summit to tackle basketball issues
                            By Joaquin Henson
                            Tuesday, August 7, 2007

POC first vice president and Rep. Monico Puentevella said yesterday he will push for a two-day basketball summit in Cebu within the next two months to determine the future of the sport in the country after the national team’s failure to clinch an Olympic ticket in the FIBA-Asia qualifiers in Tokushima.

Puentevella was in Tokushima to witness the Philippines‚ crash and came back with PBA chairman Ricky Vargas after the first round of eliminations last Tuesday.

“It will be a working summit among basketball leaders all over the country,” said Puentevella. “We’ll ask (national coach) Chot Reyes to brief us on our international objectives. We’ll also look at our domestic objectives. I’m suggesting Cebu as the site to make it easier for our Mindanao officials to attend. Michel (Lhuillier) was in Tokushima and I’m sure he will be happy to host.”

Lhuillier is a member of the SBP Board of Trustees.

Puentevella said there are lessons to be learned from the collapse in Tokushima and instead of sulking, the national team should be mapping out plans of getting back on track for the 2009 FIBA-Asia World Championship qualifiers, the 2010 World Championships, the 2010 Asian Games, the 2011 FIBA-Asia Olympic qualifiers and the 2012 London Olympics.

An issue for discussion in the summit is whether or not to recruit a naturalized player for the national team, mentioned Puentevella. He said FIBA allows a country to draft one naturalized citizen to compensate for the handicap of countries with undersized players or gaps in their lineups.

FIBA previously permitted two naturalized players per country. In 1986, the Philippines used the rule to its advantage, taking in Dennis Still and Jeff Moore to reinforce the national squad that beat China in the finals of the FIBA-Asia Championships in Kuala Lumpur.

In Tokushima, at least three countries enlisted naturalized players – Lebanon with Joe Vogel of Colorado State, Jordan with Rasheim Wright of District of Columbia and Japan with J. R. Henderson (now Sakuragi) of UCLA.

Countries that recruited naturalized players in the past include the US (Hakeem Olajuwon, Pat Ewing), Russia (J. R. Holden), Japan (Dan Weiss, Eric McArthur), Spain (Wayne Brabender, Clifford Luyk, Antonio Sibilio, Juan Antonio de la Cruz), France (Crawford Palmer), Venezuela (Askia Jones) and Australia (Ricky Grace, C. J. Bruton).

“It was evident in Tokushima how dependent we were on Asi (Taulava) as our only big man,” said Puentevella. “When Asi got hurt, we had no one to turn to. We could‚ve used a naturalized player who’s 6-11 or 7-feet. The rule to use a naturalized player is there. We used it before. We need someone who can control the boards. Look at Jordan. Their naturalized player (Wright) destroyed us.”

Puentevella said he spoke with the Korean team’s Daniel Sandrin of Seattle Pacific University in Tokushima and was surprised by his comments. It wasn’t certain if Sandrin is a Korean-American, therefore qualifying as a local, or a naturalized citizen. But he was born and raised in the US.

“Sandrin told me he couldn’t relate with the Koreans because they hardly speak English,” said Puentevella. “He felt more comfortable with our team. He agreed we got a bad deal from the referee in the Iran game.”

Puentevella said a candidate for naturalization is San Beda’s 6-8 center Sam Ekwe of Nigeria.

“If Ekwe gets better and matures, we should consider him if he wants to be naturalized,” said Puentevella. “We should also look at our local boys, like Japeth Aguilar (now playing for Western Kentucky) and this 19-year-old kid from Cebu (6-11 Greg Fuentes-Slaughter). I heard we can recruit a tall Serbian but the good ones would rather play for their country.”

Puentevella said the national team must be more familiar with the international style to make an impact. That will mean more foreign exposure and learning from teams with Olympic success like Argentina.

Puentevella said the two-day summit should also address the issues of grassroots development, standardization of rules and the PBA’s continuing commitment to lend players for the national team.
                            But Ekwe is still on his Sophomore year in San Beda, they have to wait for at least 2 more years. but at least they can start putting him on the Training Pool.. if ever..
                            Practice makes perfect, but nobody's perfect, so why practice?

Comment

applicants should be pure pinoy or half-breed or else your out of contention better try to other countries!because this is pinoy dream team academy and open for all pinoys out there..so hurry grab the chance now!luxurious prizes are waitng for u guys or else cojuangco and pangilinan will pay for ur perseverance and hardwork!acheche!

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information