PDA

View Full Version : Indonesia vs Philippines Rivalry

rocketstar47
01-12-2010, 02:48 AM
..i wonder that in this past decade indons and pinoys are
the rivals of this region.
PAST SEABA Championships and SEA Games this two NT are gunning for gold
I Also add The ABL Season when the two teams collide in the inaugural season finals

kaiziken_pinas
01-12-2010, 05:04 AM
there's a rivalry between Philippines in Indonesia?

I thought our rivals are S Korea and Jordan....

Saskibaloia
01-12-2010, 05:19 AM
I've been following Asian basketball for the past 10 years and in my opinion, there's no rivalry between the RP and Indo NTs. The Philippines, when they send their PBA players hammer the hell out of everyone in the South East Asian Basketball Tournament.
Eventually, due to the exposure of the other South East Asian nations to these PBA players that their level of basketball will increase but at the current moment I believe that it's purely a one sided affair.
Previously, we all know that when the Philippines sent a bunch of amateurs to the South East Asian Qualification Tournaments that was when Indonesia and co. would defeat the Philippines or make a run for their money but not now.
Looking at previous events in my opinion it looks like Philippines is a mile ahead then you have the second tier: Indonesia and Malaysia, then the third tier of Thailand and Singapore, then the rest.
I could imagine Malaysia slowly, but very slowly catching up with the Philippines quicker than Indonesia. Malaysia, correct me if I'm wrong but have been coached by Australian coaches. In addition, some Australian NBL players in the off season head over to Malaysia (I'm not sure if they still do), such as former NT member David Stiff and play in their semi-pro league.

Andrew81
01-12-2010, 06:05 AM
I've been following Asian basketball for the past 10 years and in my opinion, there's no rivalry between the RP and Indo NTs. The Philippines, when they send their PBA players hammer the hell out of everyone in the South East Asian Basketball Tournament.
Eventually, due to the exposure of the other South East Asian nations to these PBA players that their level of basketball will increase but at the current moment I believe that it's purely a one sided affair.
Previously, we all know that when the Philippines sent a bunch of amateurs to the South East Asian Qualification Tournaments that was when Indonesia and co. would defeat the Philippines or make a run for their money but not now.
Looking at previous events in my opinion it looks like Philippines is a mile ahead then you have the second tier: Indonesia and Malaysia, then the third tier of Thailand and Singapore, then the rest.
I could imagine Malaysia slowly, but very slowly catching up with the Philippines quicker than Indonesia. Malaysia, correct me if I'm wrong but have been coached by Australian coaches. In addition, some Australian NBL players in the off season head over to Malaysia (I'm not sure if they still do), such as former NT member David Stiff and play in their semi-pro league.

Me also..Im sorry guys but for me there is no rivalry between Indonesia and the Philippines..Its a one sided much if we send Pros..Also they are beaten up by our selection of college players and PBL players...

The only thing the Indonesians can challenge the Philippines is when they play their Champion Club team with imports againts our PBL team with no imports..

paolylo
01-12-2010, 06:53 AM
when the RP NT used PBA players against other ASEAN NT's:

Jones Cup 1998
RP 84 Thailand 34

Asian Games 1998
RP 86 Thailand 60

SEABA 2007
RP 122 Singapore 55
RP 85 Indonesia 48
RP 102 Malaysia 72
RP 96 Thailand 76

SEABA 2009
RP 100. Malaysia 73
RP 103. Indonesia 64
RP 117 Singapore 69
RP 98 Indonesia 68

what rivalry? it's no contest. that's an average margin of 37 points.

TrueBluePinoy
01-12-2010, 07:16 AM
In club competitions specially with the ABL, i guess we could say that. But it's a different story when it comes to NTs.

kerouac82
01-12-2010, 09:05 AM
In club competitions specially with the ABL, i guess we could say that. But it's a different story when it comes to NTs.

It takes more than a couple of games to get a rivalry started. For a rivalry to exist, there must be at least some semblance of a competition. Indonesia's NT has not beaten ours since, I dunno, when the MBA sent a team to the Jakarta SEA Games?

Also, there must be mutual recognition of players from both sides. Sure, IBNers might all be familiar with Mario Wuysang and Ronnie Sitepu, but ask any random man in say, Balut, Tondo about them and you'll be met with a blank stare.

Last, there must be some sort of love-hate relationship between teams and fans of opposing teams. I haven't seen that from the likes of our resident Indonesian here, satria_muda.

All in all, no, there is no rivalry whatsoever.

alien space bats
01-12-2010, 09:46 AM
i like rivalries. if there's no such thing as philippines-indonesia basketball rivalry yet, then it's necessary to make one. ala lang. rivalry for the sake of having a rival since it's the one thing we dont have. the other powerhouse asian teams dont consider us as rivals in the first place. :p

kaiziken_pinas
01-12-2010, 10:52 AM
i like rivalries. if there's no such thing as philippines-indonesia basketball rivalry yet, then it's necessary to make one. ala lang. rivalry for the sake of having a rival since it's the one thing we dont have. the other powerhouse asian teams dont consider us as rivals in the first place. :p

I think we have a rivalry against KOREA and LEBANON.

We were beaten by Korea a handful of times already(damn, most were heartbreakers). Well, in Lebanon's case, it's 4-2 already.

Saskibaloia
01-12-2010, 12:05 PM
when the RP NT used PBA players against other ASEAN NT's:

Jones Cup 1998
RP 84 Thailand 34

Asian Games 1998
RP 86 Thailand 60

SEABA 2007
RP 122 Singapore 55
RP 85 Indonesia 48
RP 102 Malaysia 72
RP 96 Thailand 76

SEABA 2009
RP 100. Malaysia 73
RP 103. Indonesia 64
RP 117 Singapore 69
RP 98 Indonesia 68

what rivalry? it's no contest. that's an average margin of 37 points.

OUCH! ... Damn ... now that's what I call DOMINATION!

I only dream to see Philippines NT do this:

FIBA-Asia

RP 120 vs China 84
RP 110 vs Lebanon 69
RP 108 vs Jordan 55
RP 102 vs Syria 41
RP 130 vs Japan 60

But of course, this is in my dreams ... actually this happened back in the 1920s to 1950s :D

rocketstar47
01-13-2010, 02:27 AM
OUCH! ... Damn ... now that's what I call DOMINATION!

I only dream to see Philippines NT do this:

FIBA-Asia

RP 120 vs China 84
RP 110 vs Lebanon 69
RP 108 vs Jordan 55
RP 102 vs Syria 41
RP 130 vs Japan 60

But of course, this is in my dreams ... actually this happened back in the 1920s to 1950s :D

HOW about uruguay in FIBA Americas can u tell us
the history of ur NT

satria_muda
01-13-2010, 02:54 AM
Last, there must be some sort of love-hate relationship between teams and fans of opposing teams. I haven't seen that from the likes of our resident Indonesian here, satria_muda.

because there's no rivalry to begin with :D..though I would love if it changed,
until then happened, I gladly support Philippines when facing a country from the other region in Asia,

my fav team in Asia beside my country: Iran & Philippine

Saskibaloia
01-13-2010, 04:24 AM
HOW about uruguay in FIBA Americas can u tell us
the history of ur NT

I can tell you something about Uruguay's basketball history in the Americas and in the world.

In 1984, they got Silver in the Americas Championships, 4th in 1988,

They're a two time bronze medal Olympic holders for 1952 Helsinki and 1956 Melbourne Olympics

Another important achievement is that there has been a Uruguayan basketball player in the NBA: Esteban Batista.

tamagurl87
01-13-2010, 04:49 AM
Indonesia vs Philippines Rivalry

the answer is NO...

let see if there will be one in abl...but for NT's?nah...

rocketstar47
01-13-2010, 05:33 AM
Indonesia vs Philippines Rivalry

the answer is NO...

let see if there will be one in abl...but for NT's?nah...

i agree with you bro indons and pinoys rivalry
in ABL it is possible to happen..

usausa
01-14-2010, 02:20 AM
"In order to have a rivalry, you gotta let the other team win a game at least once in a while" -former Univeristy of Miami football player

No rivalry...but I am sure the passion level is up there....its the competitiveness that is not up to par yet

Philippines4ever
04-05-2010, 07:16 AM
Pilipinas

kb0041
04-05-2010, 09:57 AM
Hahaha. This thread is very funny. There is no rivalry between Philippines and Indonesia. In fact, there is no Southeast Asian country can even come close to RP when it comes to basketball. Our recent setbacks against Indonesia (in SEABA 2 or 3 years ago I think) for me should not be counted because they were playing with American imports. Actually they were just lucky that they beat us that time. We can topple Indonesia at any day even if they are reinforced with 5 imports. :)

Sadly, we only enjoy our dominance in basketball in this region. Outside Southeast Asia, we're crap. :(

TrueBluePinoy
04-05-2010, 10:04 AM
Hahaha. This thread is very funny. There is no rivalry between Philippines and Indonesia. In fact, there is no Southeast Asian country can even come close to RP when it comes to basketball. Our recent setbacks against Indonesia (in SEABA 2 or 3 years ago I think) for me should not be counted because the Indons were playing with American imports. Actually they were just lucky that they beat us that time. We can topple Indonesia at any day even if they are reinforced with 5 imports. :)

Sadly, we only enjoy our dominance in basketball in this region. Outside Southeast Asia, we're crap. :(

Indon is synonymous to the Indonesian version of "Indio" which is a degrading word for the Indonesians FYI. So next time I advise you not to utilize that word again.

kb0041
04-05-2010, 10:17 AM
awww. thanks for the correction. Sorry I didn't know that. Don't worry I will edit that.

b3lowzro
04-05-2010, 06:34 PM
i do believe there's a rivalry between pinoy and the singaporean fans in the Redhoops and the facebook fan page of the ABL.

charged
04-21-2010, 11:41 PM
i do believe there's a rivalry between pinoy and the singaporean fans in the Redhoops and the facebook fan page of the ABL.

im glad im not the only one that noticed taht!

Ball
04-22-2010, 07:14 AM
ahah rivalry between indo and philippines???

medji
05-11-2010, 02:29 PM
the only rivalry i see is between the fans! specially in ABL! :D

kaiziken_pinas
05-21-2010, 08:16 AM

always initiated by idiotic Singaporean fans.

"Patriots players are the best in Philippines" -like on would say.:rolleyes:

kerouac82
05-21-2010, 09:13 AM
always initiated by idiotic Singaporean fans.

"Patriots players are the best in Philippines" -like on would say.:rolleyes:

Really? Could you send me the link?

paolylo
05-24-2010, 01:52 AM

it's probably one of the Singaporean facebook pages or comments from sports blogs like redsports/redhoops... so it's hard to find that link :D

for the hell of it, i'd like to see a legit PBA franchise with maybe a couple of stars in the mold of Mac Cardona or Gary David in the ABL and 2 imports too big for PBA height restrictions... they'll be so dominant, the ABL will just fold up and die in a few years because fans don't wanna watch expected blowouts.

rocketstar47
05-24-2010, 06:59 AM
singapore is weak in basketball.Indons are better than them!!!!

kaiziken_pinas
05-24-2010, 09:15 AM

ughh. it was months ago. probably rotting in the bottom of the ABL page.:(

sorry but you should try looking for Slinger articles in www.redsports.sg and www.singaporeslingers.com.

I quote one writer after the 1st meeting of the Patriots and the Slingers in Singapore which went in favor of the Merlions :

"It's time to show the Philippines who's the boss in the ASEAN region. Singapore will show them that."

really tickled my funny bones. not aware that the Patriots are made up of 2nd div players and scrubs in the PBA

medji
05-24-2010, 12:54 PM
^ and the players of the singapore slingers are actually made up of!
only a few
singaporians :D

OT :D

lbtriggerman
07-02-2010, 09:24 PM
because there's no rivalry to begin with :D..though I would love if it changed,
until then happened, I gladly support Philippines when facing a country from the other region in Asia,

my fav team in Asia beside my country: Iran & Philippine

Thanks for the kind words. Eventually Indonesians will catch up too. Just practice practice practice. Your physique is not that different with us. :)

seigle42
07-10-2010, 08:47 AM
that thread is funny :p . its like philippines vs. USA.

rocketstar47
08-07-2010, 01:46 AM
that thread is funny :p . its like philippines vs. USA.

hahahaha very funny

GilG
08-11-2010, 01:43 PM
Hahaha. This thread is very funny. There is no rivalry between Philippines and Indonesia. In fact, there is no Southeast Asian country can even come close to RP when it comes to basketball. Our recent setbacks against Indonesia (in SEABA 2 or 3 years ago I think) for me should not be counted because they were playing with American imports. Actually they were just lucky that they beat us that time. We can topple Indonesia at any day even if they are reinforced with 5 imports. :)

We're not crap dude. In fact, we've always been very, very competitive in Asia. Just because we're no longer number one in Asia doesn't mean our team doesn't amount to anything. Right now, there are only two teams in Asia that we are most likely to lose than win and these are Iran and China. In fact, Iran to me is already beatable, although China still remains a big question mark.

dxjayrock2008
08-14-2010, 10:26 AM
singapore is weak in basketball.Indons are better than them!!!!

Indonesian players are much taller than the Singaporean players. :cool:

Chuck White
08-15-2010, 04:56 AM
..i wonder that in this past decade indons and pinoys are
the rivals of this region.
PAST SEABA Championships and SEA Games this two NT are gunning for gold
however pinoys is the best for the two

__________________________________________________ ______

Well, to call it a rivalry there should be a similar skill set that has a chance of one winning over the other on any given sunday. Historically, the Philippines have dominated the SEABA league. A distant second place is not really a rivalry. There is a rivalry between the Indons and Thais for who will be second place. The Philippines in basketball is in a different league amongst her SEA neighbors.

Chuck White
08-15-2010, 04:59 AM
Indonesian players are much taller than the Singaporean players. :cool:

__________________________________________________ _____________
To be fair with the Singaporeans, Indonesia has a bigger population to provide a base for basketball. Singapore on the other hand is a city state whose population is equivalent to a mid size Indonesian city.

Chuck White
08-15-2010, 05:03 AM
Thanks for the kind words. Eventually Indonesians will catch up too. Just practice practice practice. Your physique is not that different with us. :)

__________________________________________________ _______________

He's probably telling you the same thing when an Indonesion talks about badminton but either way you're not telling him anything that he doesn't already know.

Avante
08-31-2010, 04:10 AM
We in Indonesia today are continuing to learn about the development of basketball players, the league in Indonesia is still in the category of semi-professional and not become like the PBA basketball industry. Our league will continue to grow with young players. Most clubs in the NBL now have players with an average height of 6'5 even some with 6'8 and 6'9 tall they are expected to be a generation of Indonesian basketball future.

Regulation is very different from our nationality Philippines where we do not recognize dual citizenship. If we are allowed to use dual citizenship so we have some Dutch players in the country even for all positions of PG / SG / PF / C, but because it is not allowed by the Ministry of Justice of Indonesia and it was difficult to be conducted.

So we can only do the players native to Indonesia. So we do not consider the Philippines as a rival, but more as a tutor of basketball development in Indonesia :)

rocketstar47
09-05-2010, 03:54 PM
i think Satria Muda Britama will give the Philippine Patriots a tough challenge
on this coming 2nd ABL Season.

Who's the import of Satria Muda??

mcampbell075
09-29-2010, 04:05 PM
This is new. Before it's Thailand and Philippines

rocketstar47
09-30-2010, 12:31 PM
This is new. Before it's Thailand and Philippines

Yeah this is new specially on ABL

lrangels
10-01-2010, 05:14 AM
I don't see any rivalry between the Philippines and any nation in Southeast Asia. At least, not at this point in time. However, teams like Indonesia, Thailand, and Malaysia have certainly scored some upset wins against the Philippines, but a lot of times they tend to come close.

Maybe, I can name some upsets, but it could be a bit inaccurate:

1989 SEA Games: Malaysia beat Philippines on the gold medal game by eight. This is the only SEA Games that Philippine Men's Basketball team failed to get the gold medal
1993 SEA Games: Thailand beat a hastily formed Philippine team in the preliminary round since the UAAP refused to lend its players like Dennis Espino and Bal David. I could be inaccurate on this.

I also remember that there's one game in the late 90s before the 1997 SEA Games that Indonesia beat a Philippine team that has Rommel Adducul, Danny Ildefonso, Ralph Rivera, et. al.

For a rivalry to take place, a team should beat each other for a title, i.e., if Team A beats Teams B for the title this year then Team B beats Team A for the title the following year.

;)

seigle42
01-25-2011, 05:42 AM
I also remember that there's one game in the late 90s before the 1997 SEA Games that Indonesia beat a Philippine team that has Rommel Adducul, Danny Ildefonso, Ralph Rivera, et. al.

For a rivalry to take place, a team should beat each other for a title, i.e., if Team A beats Teams B for the title this year then Team B beats Team A for the title the following year.

1996 seaba championships in indonesia. the philippines formed fresh from junior players were U-19 players were adducul, rivera, ildefonso et. they lost to indonesia A in gold medal match

Servinio
01-31-2011, 10:03 AM
In October of 2002, a selection of Philippine basketball players led by Romel Adducul visited Jakarta to play a series of games versus top Indonesian club Aspac Texmaco. Find out more by clicking here. (http://servssports.wordpress.com/2011/01/31/archives-jakarta-diary/)

rocketstar47
02-02-2011, 02:02 AM
What is the cause of death of 7"3 Ujang?

makotosing
06-08-2011, 12:56 AM
sayang

lrangels
06-08-2011, 03:11 PM
1996 seaba championships in indonesia. the philippines formed fresh from junior players were U-19 players were adducul, rivera, ildefonso et. they lost to indonesia A in gold medal match

Thanks for sharing more information on this.

;)

rocketstar47
06-08-2011, 04:03 PM
This years 2011 SEABA will be held in Jakarta .

I Think Philippines will win it....:)

makotosing
06-09-2011, 10:43 AM
sure win na ata tayo sa seaba.. God willing

rocketstar47
06-09-2011, 01:22 PM
sure win na ata tayo sa seaba.. God willing

Ano ba ang magcocover na channel?

Trans: What channel will cover?

Tambakan natin sila!!!!

makotosing
06-23-2011, 07:27 PM
SEABA Philippines versus Indonesia..

ARISTOTLE
06-24-2011, 04:57 AM
owing to the fact that the malaysian players gained valuable experience in the FIBA ASIA champions cup, I believe Malaysia will beat indonesia.

rocketstar47
06-27-2011, 02:55 AM
Still Indonesia is no match against us

makotosing
06-27-2011, 03:43 AM
owing to the fact that the malaysian players gained valuable experience in the FIBA ASIA champions cup, I believe Malaysia will beat indonesia.

Malaysia got clobbered by Indonesia..

lrangels
06-27-2011, 04:06 PM
As far as this topic is concerned, I still don't see any rivalry of sorts between Philippines and Indonesia. Indonesia has to win a title (in the national team level, not club level) against the Philippines in order to call it a rivalry.

;)

makotosing
06-28-2011, 03:41 AM
As far as this topic is concerned, I still don't see any rivalry of sorts between Philippines and Indonesia. Indonesia has to win a title (in the national team level, not club level) against the Philippines in order to call it a rivalry.

;)

correct...
maybe the rivals are thailand and indonesia
it cant be indonesia versus malaysia, cause the latter got clobbered.

makotosing
06-28-2011, 03:42 AM
correct..
maybe we should end the thread..there is no rivalry as to national team level..
i dont know in the ABL though

AlYuson
06-28-2011, 08:04 AM
correct..
maybe we should end the thread..there is no rivalry as to national team level..
i dont know in the ABL though

Exactly..there's no rivalry to national teams with philippines involved. Till now, the level of basketball quality has not really take-off in southeast asian region.

j_diddy
07-01-2011, 03:51 PM
Stumbled into Indonesian site talking about the Philippines and what they need to do to beat us.

Pretty surprising that some of them know who Samboy Lim and Johnny Abbarientos are.

Use google translate:
http://mainbasket.wordpress.com/2011/06/24/indonesia-vs-filipina-di-seaba-championship-sudut-pandang-seorang-fan/#comments

Jeffie
07-01-2011, 04:16 PM
Wow, I can't believe this thread reached 3 pages. :D

There is no rivalry.. The Philippines have bigger fish to fry (China, Iran, Lebanon, South Korea).. I wish we can get over the "Great Wall", so that we can compete outside Asia.. Even securing 2nd-place all the time in the Asian Games or FIBA Asia Qualifiers is an achievement enough for me. That'll mean in the coming years, we only have to worry about China.

lrangels
07-01-2011, 04:21 PM
Stumbled into Indonesian site talking about the Philippines and what they need to do to beat us.

Pretty surprising that some of them know who Samboy Lim and Johnny Abbarientos is.

Use google translate:
http://mainbasket.wordpress.com/2011/06/24/indonesia-vs-filipina-di-seaba-championship-sudut-pandang-seorang-fan/#comments

A very nice piece. Thanks for sharing. I also noticed a Filipino fan also stumbled upon this and gave him his two cents.

As for me, it seems that most fans probably doesn't know that Philippines tends to send different teams depending on the type of competition. I seem to get an impression that Indonesian fans feel that the team we send in the SEA Games are the same set of players we send on SEABA, FIBA-Asia, and Asian Games.

If we look at the performances of Philippines on those tournaments, they all vary. The team Indonesian fans got exposed to in the last 3 outings of the SEABA tournament (2007, 2009, and 2011) are the elite national team (PBA in 2007 and 2009 then the Smart-Gilas team in 2011) which ended up playing in the FIBA-Asia Championships. That's the reason why Philippines whooped every opposition by at least 30 or 40 points.

The SEA Games is a different story. We tend to send college players or pro players outside the PBA, i.e., the PBL. That's why the results are very different. Games are a lot closer and has more thrill.

The SEA Games this year can give Indonesia and other SEA nations a better chance of winning against the Philippines because of the presence of college players or U-23 squad. Filipino players like Kiefer Ravena and Bobby Ray Parks who are aged 18 years old (I think Kiefer is 17) will be going up against players that are at least 5 years older than them.

;)

j_diddy
07-01-2011, 05:49 PM
A very nice piece. Thanks for sharing. I also noticed a Filipino fan also stumbled upon this and gave him his two cents.

As for me, it seems that most fans probably doesn't know that Philippines tends to send different teams depending on the type of competition. I seem to get an impression that Indonesian fans feel that the team we send in the SEA Games are the same set of players we send on SEABA, FIBA-Asia, and Asian Games.

If we look at the performances of Philippines on those tournaments, they all vary. The team Indonesian fans got exposed to in the last 3 outings of the SEABA tournament (2007, 2009, and 2011) are the elite national team (PBA in 2007 and 2009 then the Smart-Gilas team in 2011) which ended up playing in the FIBA-Asia Championships. That's the reason why Philippines whooped every opposition by at least 30 or 40 points.

The SEA Games is a different story. We tend to send college players or pro players outside the PBA, i.e., the PBL. That's why the results are very different. Games are a lot closer and has more thrill.

The SEA Games this year can give Indonesia and other SEA nations a better chance of winning against the Philippines because of the presence of college players or U-23 squad. Filipino players like Kiefer Ravena and Bobby Ray Parks who are aged 18 years old (I think Kiefer is 17) will be going up against players that are at least 5 years older than them.

;)

It's from a quite interesting perspective indeed.

Some of them seem to know that stature of Gilas in the PBA; the costs associated in running the Gilas programme; the basketball technology that we just take for granted; and of course, Bobby Parks.

Who would've thought that our neighbours would know all of those. Perhaps we now need to take the moral initiative of helping improve basketball in all of South East Asia.

seigle42
09-21-2011, 04:08 PM
if i ever moderator i close it! close this thread.

*thread closed*

rocketstar47
09-21-2011, 04:12 PM
if i ever moderator i close it! close this thread.

*thread closed*

weehh

posmaf
11-30-2011, 10:42 AM
Actually there was a time in the 1996 edition of SEABA (in Surabaya) in which Indonesia beat Phillipines to take the title. But don't worry, I know that must have been some amateur team sent by Phillipines :D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SEABA

Many basketball lovers in Indonesia actually support Phillipines team in FIBA asia for example (offcourse as long as it's not the game against Indonesia :D) , none of us is actually thinking that Indonesian national team can beat the best Phillipines Basketball team now, so don't be too harsh on us guys, I'm sure you want to see some tighter rivalry in SEA region as well.
Hopefully it will come 5-10 years from now. Peace!

usausa
11-30-2011, 05:17 PM
Actually there was a time in the 1996 edition of SEABA (in Surabaya) in which Indonesia beat Phillipines to take the title. But don't worry, I know that must have been some amateur team sent by Phillipines :D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SEABA

Many basketball lovers in Indonesia actually support Phillipines team in FIBA asia for example (offcourse as long as it's not the game against Indonesia :D) , none of us is actually thinking that Indonesian national team can beat the best Phillipines Basketball team now, so don't be too harsh on us guys, I'm sure you want to see some tighter rivalry in SEA region as well.
Hopefully it will come 5-10 years from now. Peace!

Yeah the team sent in 1996, based on my reading, was a PBL team sponsored by Mobiline. I will post more later today, perhaps in a new thread, with articles and such. A couple of RP officials blamed officiating as the reason for the loss, saying they had problems with the Thai referee from the first game, and then the same referee officaited the title match. Graham Lim tried to get neutral officials from Singapore, but was told the game would be officiated fairly no matter who was the referee. Another official blamed the RP 5 saying they lacked mental toughness and maturity. Some RP players on the team included Rommel Adducul, Danny Ildefonso, and Ato Morano.