PDA

View Full Version : Philippines flooding and Typhoon Ondoy

durden_tyler
09-26-2009, 12:45 PM
Rather than invade all other threads (aye, guilty part here) i guess we need an outlet for other topics outside of basketball--- which at times, is even more important the game we all love. So i hope the mods won't move this to the OT board since in here we can talk about all other OT topics--- exclusively for Filipinos.

i shit you not. i got relatives affected from both areas. my brother's been calling his brother masons in NDCC to help our relatives there but fucking government lacks equipment. the will to help is there but they can't reach all affected areas. my sis and her family in araneta are on the rooftops of their two story house can you believe that

i "hate" ASB the poster but not the person. ;) Hope your family is A-OK. i have relatives back in the province as well and i am worried about their state more over myself because at least here i got electricity and all. It's automatic brownout over there when there's a major storm brewing:

True Story: when i was in the province about 15 years ago, i was literally swimming in a 8 foot flood--- the funny thing was i was swimming with a volks alongside, yes it was a literal "pagong" in that scene--- just to make it to our other house which had a second floor. Drainage has since improved and that was the last catastrophe i can remember. Praytell, i do hope they are ok there too with another calamity in sight.

kerouac82
09-26-2009, 12:59 PM
I have relatives living in Marikina whose first floor has been all but submerged in the floods.

Also, friends who were trapped in Eastwood due to floods and traffic. The Marikina River behind Eastwood has also overflowed its banks and has swept a number of cars from where they were parked. The entire basement parking area of the Eastwood Mall was turned into a swimming pool overnight.

One of my guitarists had his room washed out by the flood. And mind you, he lives in Antipolo. I only shudder to think how my other guitarist is doing -- he lives in Marikina, just a few meters from the river.

Just a few blocks from us, the flood is now roof-high. Good thing we live uphill. Otherwise, we'd be at the mercy of La Mesa Dam and its spillover.

You all stay safe, guys. My prayers tonight go out to everyone who is affected.

durden_tyler
09-26-2009, 01:02 PM
I have relatives living in Marikina whose first floor has been all but submerged in the floods.

Also, friends who were trapped in Eastwood due to floods and traffic. The Marikina River behind Eastwood has also overflowed its banks and has swept a number of cars from where they were parked. The entire basement parking area of the Eastwood Mall was turned into a swimming pool overnight.

One of my guitarists had his room washed out by the flood. And mind you, he lives in Antipolo. I only shudder to think how my other guitarist is doing -- he lives in Marikina, just a few meters from the river.

Just a few blocks from us, the flood is now roof-high. Good thing we live uphill. Otherwise, we'd be at the mercy of La Mesa Dam and its spillover.

You all stay safe, guys. My prayers tonight go out to everyone who is affected.

Yikes. Sad news indeed. Hopefully, it's just flood and no casualties on the said areas. Wasn't this typhoon announced days before? i do hope it's not drainage problems or such. Preparation for this calamities is vital and i think there are some government disaster programs as we speak but if again this is lack of preparation... Haay,Pilipinas.

rensquared
09-26-2009, 01:05 PM
Guys, stay safe. If possible, stay indoors. The weather is crazy, and its about to get worse.

To those who need assistence, you can call National Disaster Coordinating Council (NDCC) Emergency Numbers: 912-5668, 911-1406, 912-2665, 911-5061. Help hotlines: 734-2118, 734-2120.

As for me, Im currently stuck in the office. Its flooded everywhere.

How about you guys???

durden_tyler
09-26-2009, 01:10 PM
Guys, stay safe. If possible, stay indoors. The weather is crazy, and its about to get worse.

To those who need assistence, you can call National Disaster Coordinating Council (NDCC) Emergency Numbers: 912-5668, 911-1406, 912-2665, 911-5061. Help hotlines: 734-2118, 734-2120.

As for me, Im currently stuck in the office. Its flooded everywhere.

How about you guys???

i stay at a friends place in Makati.

Well, stay there, Ren until it's safe. Hirap na sa daan. Am currently at home, to think we had a drinking spree last night near Marcos highway. i chose to go home early because the drinking spree shifted from Red Horses to the Matadors (i hate hard these days)--- apparently, that was a good decision because i could have been stuck there as well.

Be safe, everyone. i hate for other posters to be "injured" by this typhoon--- where's the fun in posting without a little discussion with "friends" ;)

Cammomile
09-26-2009, 01:13 PM

Well, stay there, Ren until it's safe. Hirap na sa daan. Am currently at home, to think we had a drinking spree last night near Marcos highway. i chose to go home early because the drinking spree shifted from Red Horses to the Matadors (i hate hard these days)--- apparently, that was a good decision because i could have been stuck there as well.

Be safe, everyone. i hate for other posters to be "injured" by this typhoon--- where's the fun in posting without a little discussion with "friends" ;)

I just called my Boss and asked him if i can be out today..He then told me if you dont get your ass here in 30 minutes your fired.. Now im on my way to work with my kapote and big umbrella plus laptop stuck here in expresway..need a hitch

rensquared
09-26-2009, 01:13 PM

Good thing you left early bro. Im worried about my family though. Don't know how they are doing. No signal here. No way of conatcting them. I need a drink

kerouac82
09-26-2009, 01:16 PM
I just called my Boss and asked him if i can be out today..He then told me if you dont get your ass here in 30 minutes your fired.. Now im on my way to work with my kapote and big umbrella plus laptop stuck here in expresway..need a hitch

Can't you just work at home or something? That's what laptops are for.

Unless, of course, if your boss is a complete A-hole.

durden_tyler
09-26-2009, 01:17 PM

Damn it. Tell your boss to post here and he'd get an earful from us :D

Good thing you left early bro. Im worried about my family though. Don't know how they are doing. No signal here. No way of conatcting them. I need a drink

Yup add that to the piss list: i couldn't call (i use GLOBE) my family back in the province because of network problems. i hope your family is fine.

kerouac82
09-26-2009, 01:20 PM
Yikes. Sad news indeed. Hopefully, it's just flood and no casualties on the said areas. Wasn't this typhoon announced days before? i do hope it's not drainage problems or such. Preparation for this calamities is vital and i think there are some government disaster programs as we speak but if again this is lack of preparation... Haay,Pilipinas.

I dunno. I heard on the news that the equivalent of 30 days' worth of rain fell in the past six hours. There's only so much that drainage can do with freak weather like that.

What's bad is that relief goods and rescue vehicles can't get through due to traffic and floods. I heard that the rubber boats were supposed to come from Marikina but were stuck on the road to QC, which is a long, uphill climb.

durden_tyler
09-26-2009, 01:25 PM
I dunno. I heard on the news that the equivalent of 30 days' worth of rain fell in the past six hours. There's only so much that drainage can do with freak weather like that.

What's bad is that relief goods and rescue vehicles can't get through due to traffic and floods. I heard that the rubber boats were supposed to come from Marikina but were stuck on the road to QC, which is a long, uphill climb.

Now that's news to me. Oh well, it's not yet the end of the world. Lots of basketball to look forward to this year. Please God, end of the world can wait ;)

Cammomile
09-26-2009, 01:48 PM
Can't you just work at home or something? That's what laptops are for.

Unless, of course, if your boss is a complete A-hole.

Im here at work na alabang..weeee...

rensquared
09-26-2009, 01:58 PM

Thanks Durden.

Whoa, 30 days worth of rain in just 6 hours? Wow, thats HUGE!

No one is spared in this downpour, even the big names like Cristine Reyes. I heard that she and her family are stuck on their roof. Dont have the pics though. And did you see the flood in KAtipunan? Here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XfWpVe7w3DA&feature=player_embedded

kerouac82
09-26-2009, 04:36 PM
Thanks Durden.

No one is spared in this downpour, even the big names like Cristine Reyes. I heard that she and her family are stuck on their roof. Dont have the pics though. And did you see the flood in KAtipunan? Here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XfWpVe7w3DA&feature=player_embedded

As of 10pm tonight, Ateneo's De Chavez brothers and Norman Penola were trapped in their unit at Calumpang, Marikina.

durden_tyler
09-26-2009, 05:22 PM
Got this list of affected/flooded areas off an Inquirer article:

:(

MANILA - Philippine College of Health & Sciences (Beside FEU) C.M. Recto

ANTIPOLO - Town and Country Subdivision
ANTIPOLO - Rosal St. Baranggay Mayamot
ANTIPOLO - 10 ERLINDA DRIVE VERMONT ROYALE MARCOS HIGHWAY ANTIPOLO CITY

BULACAN - Poblacion 2, marilao bulacan

MARIKINA - 37 Riverside Drive Provident Village - 0915-9205221
MARIKINA- 29 Blk I, Farmers I, Tumana Marikina City
MARIKINA - columbia street. provident village
MARIKINA - 151 Harvard street Provident village
MARIKINA - 19th ST Therese Street Provident Village
MARIKINA - P. Santos St., dona petra cor Road 1, Brgy. Tumana
MARIKINA - 25 Juan Luna, Brgy, Parang
MARIKINA - 72 Amsterdam St. Provident Village
MARIKINA - St Catherine Street, Provident Village
MARIKINA - ADELINA VILLAGE
MARIKINA - Bismark Street, Provident Village
MARIKINA - #7 St. Claire, Provident Village
MARIKINA - Twinville Subdivision
MARIKINA - Bayabas Street , Brgy Nangka
MARIKINA - 10D, DIAMOND STREET, CONCEPCION 1, SUBD, CONCEPCION 1
MARIKINA - PROVIDENT VILLAGE
MARIKINA - 29 St. Anne St. Provident Village
MARIKINA - #47 St. Mary Street in Provident Village
MARIKINA - paradise st. malanday
MARIKINA - 15 P. Gomez, San Isidro
MARIKINA - 23 Chico St. Amang Rodriguez Village, Concepcion
MARIKINA - 59 St. Anne corner Catherine Sts. Provident Village
MARIKINA - 1 E. Santos Street (Formerly 599 First Street Paliparan Sto. Nino
MARIKINA - 100 FLAMINGO ST. SAN ROQUE, NEW MARIKINA SUBD
MARIKINA - JEM SUBDIVISION PARANG
MARIKINA - 88 MARY MOUNT STREET PROVIDENT VILLAGE
MARIKINA - suburbia east vill, parang
MARIKINA - 14 Bayani St. Cor. R. Santos Amang Rodriguez Village Concepcion 1
MARIKINA - 29 & 31 Geneva St., Provident Village. Yellow paint. Green roof
MARIKINA- manhattan st., provident village, jesus dela peña, marikina

MAKATI - magallanes village

PASIG - 167 10th ave riverside village, ortigas ave
PASIG - 34 5TH STREET, COUNTRYSIDE VILLAGE, BRGY. STA. LUCIA
PASIG - front of De Casto Elementary School, De Castro
PASAY - P 33-12 9th St. Villamor Air Base
PASIG - MAYBUNGA
PASIG - 171 8th avenue riverside village, ortigas extension
PASIG - Isla Homes & Villa Gloria Subd., Pinagbuhatan
PASIG - liamzon subd
PASIG - Rafael St. Compound Santolan Pasig City near SM Marikina
PASIG Sgt De Leon; Ramirez Compd. near Santolan Elem School
PASIG Whole area of Tawiran are covered with water
PASIG M. DE LEON ST. flooded 2nd floor level
PASIG - 65-D DAMA DE NOCHE ST. DE CASTRO SUBDIVISION, PASIG
PASIG - MICHAEL RAYMUND ST, MARIETTA ROMEO VILLAGE, ROSARIO, PASIG CITY
PASIG - M. De Leon Ilaya 2nd Flr water level
PASIG - Main road.. evangelista st.. flooded
PASIG - M. CRUZ st flooded
PASIG - #26 LIRIO STREET DE CASTRO, PASIG
PASIG - 62 Masagana Ext. Rosario 6 Subd, Bgy Sta. Lucia
PASIG - #1 Lot 2 Block 118 KC-1 St Phase 2 Gate 5 Karangalan Village Pasig
PASIG - 14 MRV ROBERTO ANTONIO ST. BRGY STA LUCIAPASIG - #30 Dahlia St., De Castro Subd. Brgy. Sta. Lucia, Pasig City.
PASIG - 2nd floor of our house, champaca st., de castro subd., brgy. sta. lucia, pasig city
PASIG - MISSION HOSPITAL in Rosario Pasig
PASIG - SGT DE LEON STREET, SANTOLAN PASIG
PASIG - Juliana Uno Subd., Sta. Lucia, Pasig City
PASIG - Cadena de Amor St., De Castro Subd., Sta Lucia, Pasig City

QC - #4 Antoinette st, PARKWAY VILLAGE
QC - northridge park subdivision sta Monica novaliches
QC - Sunny Villas Pearl St. cor. Camaro st., East Fairview
QC - Forest Hills, Novaliches
QC - San Pedro Bautista St., Brgy. Damayan
QC - #9 Morato St., San Francisco del Monte
QC - 24A Familara Street, Tatalon
QC - 10 Tabayok St,, Banawe
QC - sa cypress village, san francisco del monte
QC - 42 GENERAL SEGUNDO ST. HEROES HILL BRGY. STA. CRUZ
QC - 68 KAPILIGAN ST. CORNER PAWAI ST. ARANETA SUBD
QC - san francisco del monte
QC - J abad Santos, Brgy Sta. Lucia Novaliches
QC - UERMMMCI School and Hospital
QC - 15 K7th St. West Kamias
QC - 548 NS Amoranto Cor Banawe QC.

RIZAL - KASIGLAHAN VILLAGE, BRGY SAN JOSE, RODRIGUEZ (MONTALBAN)
RIZAL - SUPER INDUSTRIAL CORP, A.BONIFACIO AVE BRGY STO DOMINGO, CAINTA RIZAL
RIZAL - Block 4, lot 12 Magnolia St. Adelina Homes, Bgy. San Isidro, Cainta
RIZAL - Binangonan
RIZAL - Easter street St. Gregory Village Cainta
RIZAL - Residents of Dela Costa Homes 5 in San Jose, Montalban
RIZAL - 6th St Youngstown Cainta
RIZAL - 556 GSIS st., Malanday, San Mateo
RIZAL - 556 GSIS st., Malanday, San Mateo
RIZAL - Dela Costa Homes 5 in San Jose, Montalban
RIZAL - Easterview Park Subd, Guitnangbayan I San Mateo
RIZAL - Greenland Subdivision in Cainta
RIZAL - #4D1106 Adelfa St. Greenland Subdivision, Cainta
RIZAL - Dela Costa-5 Montalban
RIZAL - St. Francis Village Walkaton St, Cainta
RIZAL - ISMAEL PARK SUBD. AMPID, SAN MATEO
RIZAL - 41 main st Country Homes Cainta
RIZAL - Golden City Subdivision, Taytay
RIZAL - 393 Gen. Luna St., Dulong Bayan I, San Mateo, Rizal 1850
RIZAL - #4 E. Gemini St., Villarica Subdivision, Brgy. S to. Domingo, Cainta
RIZAL - Glenda Renolayan and 4 families are stranded at Blk 54 lot 11 second floor in Dela Costa Homes 5 in Brgy Burgos, Rodriguez (montalban) Rizal. contact number 09192606702.
RIZAL - 404c Molave St.St.Joseph Subd.Ortigas Ext. Cainta (In front of ever gotesco mall)
RIZAL - 041 Gladiola St. MIdtown subd, Cainta
RIZAL - #7 CAPRI STREET VILLAGE EAST EXACUTIVE HOMES( AROUND 10 PEOPLE ARE STRANDED INCLUDING CHILDREN BELOW 12YRS. OLD)

TAGUIG - Pulong Kendi Sta. Ana

VALENZUELA - veinte reales
VALENZUELA - sitio sulok river side maceda ugongReport

SAN JUAN - #222 AF Atanacio St.
SAN JUAN - 4822 c mahogany st. old sta mesa mla
SAN JUAN - San Pablo St. Brgy Batis San Juan City,
SAN JUAN - 111 A.LAKE St. San Juan Metro Manila
SAN JUAN - VILLA SAN JUAN 151 UNIT-O F.MANALO ST. SAN JUAN

pachador
09-26-2009, 05:43 PM
think positively. for you guys in manila, you are experiencing the heaviest rainfall in the history of manila breaking the record rainfall in 1967 so you are witnessing history. :)

merps baller the return
09-26-2009, 06:18 PM
just an update here in brgy. bungad west ave. 11 in the morning one 5 year old boy fell in the creek:(its really sad coz i heard just moments ago that they already found the body earlier this evening somewhere near roosevelt and he is still breathing:( i am just imagining the agony of this kid before he died. its really sad na wala man lang nagawa yung mga kupal na istambay, anyways stay at home guys, be safe;)

logre23
09-26-2009, 06:33 PM
i hope they're alive.. I just saw one guy survive the impact

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZUaA6IhU-w&feature=player_embedded

alien space bats
09-26-2009, 07:33 PM
it's a good thing we live in a high place in qc we're ok from electricity to food.
but it sucks to find yourself useless as there are relatives and friends affected by the flood. i can't wait for the sun to come up coz i wanna do some rescuing. the ndcc is ill-equipped. i'm expecting a severe decline in the popularity of gibo teodoro.

alien space bats
09-26-2009, 07:45 PM
just an update here in brgy. bungad west ave. 11 in the morning one 5 year old boy fell in the creek:(its really sad coz i heard just moments ago that they already found the body earlier this evening somewhere near roosevelt and he is still breathing:( i am just imaging the agony of this kid before he died. its really sad na wala man lang nagawa yung mga kupal na istambay, anyways stay at home guys, be safe;)

it really breaks my heart whenever i hear news of this sort. it boggles me no end why someone so young should experience such a horrible fate. it is as if we're just alone, man. we're just a tiny speck of matter floating across an unfeeling, mindless universe. :o

donmar
09-27-2009, 01:37 AM
I hope everyone is OK... Sir Nards posted some pics about the floods in Metro Manila last night in facebook... damn, the authorities underestimated the typhoon.. pointing fingers among the politicians are bound to follow soon...

thayil
09-27-2009, 03:45 AM
[QUOTE=JonarSabilano;345994]I have relatives living in Marikina whose first

QUOTE]

is this mic?

kerouac82
09-27-2009, 03:54 AM
is this mic?

Yeah, the one in Antipolo is Mic. The one in Marikina is Mando. Been texting Mando since last night but I've been getting no replies so far.

donmar
09-27-2009, 04:05 AM
Thanks Durden.

No one is spared in this downpour, even the big names like Cristine Reyes. I heard that she and her family are stuck on their roof. Dont have the pics though. And did you see the flood in KAtipunan? Here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XfWpVe7w3DA&feature=player_embedded<object width="384" height="313"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/XfWpVe7w3DA&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/XfWpVe7w3DA&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="384" height="313" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Here it is (Christine Reyes in the roof).. got it in FB (through sir nards)

durden_tyler
09-27-2009, 04:05 AM
From CNN (http://edition.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/asiapcf/09/26/philippines.floods/index.html)

(CNN) -- At least 51 people have died and at least 21 others are missing after torrential rains and subsequent flooding pummeled the Philippines on Saturday, the government said.

http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2009/WORLD/asiapcf/09/26/philippines.floods/art.philippines.floods.gi.jpg
Filipino pedestrians in Quezon City, a suburb of Manila, brave Tropical Storm Ketsana's floodwaters.

Tropical Storm Ketsana spawned the flooding, which caused at least six of the deaths in Manila, the nation's capital.

Manila and the nearby province of Rizal bore the brunt of the downpour, said Gilberto Teodoro, secretary of national defense and chairman of the National Disaster Coordinating Council.

Two of the dead in the capital city were victims of a wall that collapsed, he said.

Five thousand people were rescued without boats, and another 3,688 were rescued with boats, he said.

Another governmental official reported four injuries.

"My neighborhood rarely gets a bad flooding and I guess this is the worst," said CNN iReporter Jv Abellar from Quezon City, Philippines.

"Traversing through the flood is like walking through rapids."
Impact Your World

* See how you can make a difference

In all, 41,205 people had sought refuge in 92 evacuation centers, Teodoro said.

By 8:30 a.m. Sunday (8:30 p.m. Saturday ET), the torrential rains ended and slight rainfall was reported.

Some roads in the capital metropolitan area had reopened, but "we do not encourage people to travel these roads," Teodoro told CNN in a telephone interview.

"They can be a hindrance to efficient relief and rescue operations."

The federal government began massive relief efforts to aid the local governments, and set up aid centers addressing pressing problems such as sanitation and water purification.

President Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo has ordered pay parking lots at malls in Manila to be opened so motorists can leave their cars there without charge, Teodoro said. iReport.com: Share images of Philippines flooding

Manila's Nino Aquino International Airport and nearly all of the country's other international airports had reopened, he said.
advertisement

Though the Philippines is no stranger to floods, Saturday's downpours approached a record, with 341 mm (13.4 inches) falling between 8 a.m. and 2 p.m., he said.

The average rainfall for the entire month of September is 391 mm (15.4 inches), he said

durden_tyler
09-27-2009, 12:29 PM
Images during/after Typhoon Ondoy in the Philippines: :(

http://img223.imageshack.us/img223/6301/gen1hires.jpg

ArkadiosV2
09-28-2009, 09:52 AM
This is a lot worse than estimated. Over 100 dead now and 80% of Manila under water? Tragedy. Stay safe guys. :(

durden_tyler
09-28-2009, 10:17 AM
This is a lot worse than estimated. Over 100 dead now and 80% of Manila under water? Tragedy. Stay safe guys. :(

Thanks man. We need everybody's prayers. i even feel very very sad (and in a way, guilty) that i am safe and dry now. Personally, i can do nothing. :(

http://img85.imageshack.us/img85/654/genphoto2hires.jpg
Residents of Barangay De Castro head for high ground during flooding along Ortigas Extension in Pasig City yesterday. Joven Cagande

'Ondoy' leaves 95 dead; 247,555 affected by floods
By James Mananghaya (The Philippine Star) Updated September 28, 2009 12:00 AM

MANILA, Philippines - Tropical storm “Ondoy” (international codename: Ketsana) left the country yesterday, leaving behind a trail of 95 people dead, 29 missing, and some 247,555 affected families.

The figures, however, could go higher as reports from the provinces have yet to reach the National Disaster Coordinating Council (NDCC) as of press time.

Rescuers struggled through heavy traffic and darkness of the night to bring residents of flood-stricken areas, who were perched on their roofs carrying their children and cherished possessions, to safer grounds.

Images of onrushing mud and stranded people clinging to corrugated rooftops filled television screens broadcasting the events in real time.

Some individuals were even seen holding signs in a desperate attempt to call the attention of military helicopters hovering above waterlogged cities.

Some more images:
http://d.yimg.com/hb/xp/ap/20090926/20/1584476420-commuters-wade-through-waist-deep-floodwaters-following-heavy-rains-brought.jpg?x=360&y=242&sig=.oID.a0aJIZC_b4MZHHQvQ--

durden_tyler
09-28-2009, 10:32 AM
http://images.inquirer.net/media/networkindex/images/pic-09280310590367.jpg

Hopefully the images are last of the bad news this YEAR (or please, for a much longer time)--- According to this news, two more typhoons are lingering around the Philippines area of responsibility.

God help us.

Pagasa: 2 more tropical depressions may hit RP this week
GMANews.TV

n recovered from the destruction wrought by tropical storm "Ondoy," a state weather forecaster on Monday said two tropical depressions threaten to enter the country later this week.

In an interview on dwIZ radio, Philippine Atmospheric Geophysical and Astronomical Services Administration (Pagasa) forecaster Connie Dadivas said the two weather disturbances are likely to enter Philippine territory late Wednesday or Thursday.

"May dalawang tropical depression sa labas ng Philippine area of responsibility. Ine-expect natin na papasok sa bansa, papasok ito sa boundary by Wednesday hapon or Thursday (We see two tropical depressions outside the Philippine area of responsibility. We expect them to enter Philippine boundary by late Wednesday or Thursday)," Dadivas said.

But another Pagasa forecaster Joel Jesusa, in a separate radio interview, said the two LPAs are still far away to affect any part of the country for now.

"Malayo pa po, sobrang layo pa ang binabanggit nating dalawang LPA, 1,000 km pa ito (The two LPAs are still too far away, they are about 1,000 km away)," he said on dzXL radio. He added that the two LPAs were moving west-northwest as of Monday.

Earlier, Pagasa said Ondoy continued to move farther away from the country Sunday night, and was 560 kilometers west of Iba, Zambales as of 10 p.m. Sunday.

It packed maximum winds of 110 kilometers-per-hour (kph) near the center and gustiness of up to 140 kph, and was moving west-northwest at 17 kph.

However, Pagasa said Ondoy will continue to enhance the southwest monsoon and bring occasional rains over the western sections of Central and Southern Luzon.

"Luzon will experience cloudy skies with scattered rainshowers and thunderstorms while Visayas and Mindanao will have mostly cloudy skies with scattered rainshowers and thunderstorms," Pagasa said in its 5 a.m. bulletin Monday.

Ondoy struck Luzon on Saturday, bringing epic proportions of floodwater in Metro Manila and other parts of Luzon. [See: Epic flood in Metro Manila caused by record rainfall]

As of 6 a.m. Monday, the death toll from Ondoy has reached 86 based on the tally by the National Disaster Coordinating Council (NDCC). The figure, however, does not include 12 reported deaths in Antipolo City, 29 in Quezon City, and 58 in Marikina City as announced by Defense Secretary Gilberto Teodoro Jr. [See: Death toll from storm 'Ondoy' continues to rise - NDCC] - GMANews.TV

TrueBluePinoy
09-28-2009, 11:00 AM
You guys ever heard of Jacque Bermejo? A whore in Dubai that keeps on posting in FB that all of the people who were affected by the flood deserved it?

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_7vhjTvPY53w/Sr-P6lD_gzI/AAAAAAAAAtI/mL9y4WJWBss/s400/Jacque%20Bermejo%209.jpg
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_7vhjTvPY53w/Sr-PcVicG6I/AAAAAAAAAsI/p2H7VdOt5N8/s400/Jacque%20Bermejo.jpg

durden_tyler
09-28-2009, 11:14 AM
You guys ever heard of Jacque Bermejo? A whore in Dubai that keeps on posting in FB that all of the people who were affected by the flood deserved it?

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_7vhjTvPY53w/Sr-P6lD_gzI/AAAAAAAAAtI/mL9y4WJWBss/s400/Jacque%20Bermejo%209.jpg
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_7vhjTvPY53w/Sr-PcVicG6I/AAAAAAAAAsI/p2H7VdOt5N8/s400/Jacque%20Bermejo.jpg

Yup. Instant infamy right there. i don't want to dwell on those things, let's just look at the bigger picture. i don't pretty much care if she gets dissed as some people have done. If her intention was indeed evil, karma will get back at her eventually.

donmar
09-28-2009, 11:51 AM
Lets forget about that whore of Dubai and appriciate this guy and his sacrifice:

Philippine man loses own life after saving dozens from floods
September 28, 2009 - 2:28PM

An 18-year-old construction worker braved rampaging floods in the Philippines to save more than 30 people, but ended up sacrificing his life in a last trip to rescue a baby girl and her mother who were being swept away on a styrofoam box.

Desperate relief effort amid rising death toll

Family members and people who Muelmar Magallanes saved have hailed the young man a hero, as his body lay in a coffin at a makeshift evacuation centre near their destroyed Manila riverside village.

"I am going to be forever grateful to Muelmar," said Menchie Penalosa, the mother of the six-month-old girl whom he carried to safety before being swept away himself. "He gave his life for my baby. I will never forget his sacrifice."

Mr Magallanes was at home on Saturday with his family when tropical storm Ketsana unleashed the heaviest rains in more than 40 years on the Philippine capital and surrounding areas.

At first the family, long used to heavy rains, paid little attention to the storm.

But Mr Magallanes and his father quickly decided to evacuate the family once they realised the river 800 metres away had burst its banks.

With the help of an older brother, Mr Magallanes tied a string around his waist and attached it one-by-one to his three younger siblings, whom he took to higher ground. Then he came back for his parents.

But Mr Magallanes, a strong swimmer, decided to go back for neighbours trapped on rooftops.

He ended up making many trips, and eventually saved more than 30 people from drowning, witnesses and survivors said.

Tired and shivering, Mr Magallanes was back on higher ground with his family when he heard Ms Penalosa screaming as she and her baby were being swept away on the polystyrene box they were using in an attempt to cross the swift currents.

He dived back in after the mother and daughter, who were already a few metres away and bobbing precariously among the debris floating on the brown water.

"I didn't know that the current was so strong. In an instant, I was under water. We were going to die," said Ms Penalosa, her eyes welling with tears and voice choking with emotion.

"Then this man came from nowhere and grabbed us. He took us to where the other neighbours were, and then he was gone," Ms Penalosa said.

Ms Penalosa and other witnesses said an exhausted Mr Magallanes was simply washed away amid the torrent of water.

Neighbours found his body on Sunday, along with 28 others who perished amid Manila's epic flooding. The official death toll stands at 100 with 32 missing.

Standing next to his coffin, Mr Magallanes' parents paid tribute to their son.

"He always had a good heart," said his father, Samuel.

"We had already been saved. But he decided to go back one last time for the girl."

His mother, Maria Luz, wept as she described her son as incredibly brave.

"He saved so many people, but ended up not being able to save himself."

AFP

Source: http://www.theage.com.au/world/philippine-man-loses-own-life-after-saving-dozens-from-floods-20090928-g8o4.html

purple
09-28-2009, 12:37 PM
i hope everything gets better soon guys, we had a similar disaster recently, it was so bad.. there were not much things to do. be safe...

durden_tyler
09-28-2009, 04:43 PM
i hope everything gets better soon guys, we had a similar disaster recently, it was so bad.. there were not much things to do. be safe...

And i hope both our nations learn a thing or two after this disaster.

Some more oftentimes sad, sometimes touching, images gathered from around the net:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3418/3957653119_e21fdf70b5.jpg

http://l.yimg.com/g/images/spaceball.gif

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2448/3955980090_c71dab0a70.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3010/3961212627_efe6c8a31c.jpg

Alex07
09-28-2009, 06:28 PM
I'm from the Commonwealth area and there are damage to our house but I know that there are more people who are more affected by the flood..My prayers are with them specially to my friends who are in Marikina and Cainta.I heard that there would be another typhoon coming.I just hope and pray that we could overcome all of these.

Khalid80
09-28-2009, 07:27 PM
What is happening in Philippines is really a disaster :(
Hope all u guys r safe and my prayers to all Pinoys

kerouac82
09-29-2009, 04:43 AM
What is happening in Philippines is really a disaster :(
Hope all u guys r safe and my prayers to all Pinoys

Thanks, Khalid.

The flood victims need food (preferably canned/ready-to-eat), clothing, medicine, beddings, and water.

You may drop off donations at the following places:

Ateneo de Manila College Covered Courts, Seminary Road, Ateneo de Manila University, Loyola Heights, Quezon City
QC Red Cross Office, QC City Hall Compound, Kalayaan Avenue, Quezon City
AKBAYAN Headquarters, 36B Madasalin Street, Quezon City
Examiner Street, Quezon City
Victory Christian Fellowship, Ortigas Center, Pasig

purple
09-29-2009, 10:22 AM
durden_tyler And i hope both our nations learn a thing or two after this disaster.
i hope so.. it seems that houses shouldn't be built just near the sea or river. because in here mostly these houses were collapsed..

ArkadiosV2
09-29-2009, 10:27 AM
i hope so.. it seems that houses shouldn't be built just near the sea or river. because in here mostly these houses were collapsed..
You are kidding right? Philippines is a complex of 7000+ islands. Islands tend to have shores...

purple
09-29-2009, 12:01 PM
You are kidding right? Philippines is a complex of 7000+ islands. Islands tend to have shores...

well i am talking about the houses here, while we have options to built the houses in more secure places, we shouldn't build them near the sea or river. Turkey is a country that most of its soils are in danger of earthquake, after the big eartquake in 1999, which caused thousands of casualties, a new law issued which requires strict rules to build new houses, so i thought maybe that kind of precautions can be taken in places that has risks of flooding not only in Phlippines but also in Turkey of course. i am aware of the fact that Philippines is a complex of islands , but still there must be something to be done to protect people.

ArkadiosV2
09-29-2009, 12:08 PM
well i am talking about the houses here, while we have options to built the houses in more secure places, we shouldn't build them near the sea or river. as we are a country that most of our soils are in danger of earthquake. after the big eartquake in 1999, which caused thousands of casualties, a new law issued which requires strict rules to build new houses, so i thought maybe that kind of precautions can be taken in places that has risks of flooding not only in Phlippines but also in Turkey of course. i am aware of the fact that Philippines is a complex of islands , but still there must be something to be done to protect people.
What you are suggesting is impossible. Islands base their economy on sea/ocean, directly or indirectly, therefore building on shores is the only way to build...

stuart
09-29-2009, 05:15 PM
http://www.interbasket.net/news/2009/09/29/help-the-philippines-survive-typhoon-ondoy/

It is now more than two days since massive flooding swept the Philippines.

Typhoon Ondoy hit Manila, the nation’s capital and neighboring provinces, leaving a total of 140 dead victims and displacing ~435 000 more.

Major networks reported that a month’s worth of rain fell in just six hours, flooding 80% of the capital Manila which is still submerged.

Pictures and videos of this tragedy which were transmitted and published by news networks, websites and individuals via social networks are shocking and show a state of total destruction, and their people in desperate need of help.

This is where we, namely Interbasket and TalkBasket, as basketball communities, felt the need to unite and to step up and make a plea for help.

As most of you know, Philippines are one of the most basketball crazed nations of the planet and we feel it is our duty to do everything possible to help fellow Filipinos. We are all citizens of the world and most importantly we are all citizens of basketball... (more (http://www.interbasket.net/news/2009/09/29/help-the-philippines-survive-typhoon-ondoy/))

Kudos to the guys @ Talkbasket for getting this information out...

Stuart

durden_tyler
09-29-2009, 05:16 PM
More here:

http://www.interbasket.net/news/2009/09/29/help-the-philippines-survive-typhoon-ondoy/

Stuart

Speaking for ALL Filipinos posters here, thank you for the support and the informative article in the main page:

Here's what Stuart (and the IBN team wrote):

It is now more than two days since massive flooding swept the Philippines.

Typhoon Ondoy hit Manila, the nation’s capital and neighboring provinces, leaving a total of 140 dead victims and displacing ~435 000 more.

Major networks reported that a month’s worth of rain fell in just six hours, flooding 80% of the capital Manila which is still submerged.

Pictures and videos of this tragedy which were transmitted and published by news networks, websites and individuals via social networks are shocking and show a state of total destruction, and their people in desperate need of help.

This is where we, namely Interbasket and TalkBasket, as basketball communities, felt the need to unite and to step up and make a plea for help.

As most of you know, Philippines are one of the most basketball crazed nations of the planet and we feel it is our duty to do everything possible to help fellow Filipinos. We are all citizens of the world and most importantly we are all citizens of basketball.

If you are interested and looking for ways to assist, please see below how to help out

World wide:

Via RedCross: Direct your donations to RedCross Philippine
http://www.redcross.org.ph/Site/PNRC/Default.aspx?S=48&SS=972
(Choose “Typhoon Ondoy”)

Ayala Foundation:
https://www.myayala.com/ayalafoundation/ayalafoundation.asp

World Food Program:
https://www.wfp.org/donate/ondoy

TXTPower: Donate via PayPal
http://www.txtpower.org/2009/09/philippines-help-typhoon-victims-in-luzon-philippines/

In Philippines:

Department of Social Welfare and Development donations drop-off points:

1. National Resource Operations Center, Chapel Road, Pasay City

2. Quezon City Area Disaster Resource Operations Monitoring and Info Center (DROMIC) DSWD Central Office. Contact Rey Martija or Imee Rose Castillo, Tel Nos. 951-7119, 951-2435 or Assistant Secretary Vilma Cabrera Tel No. 0918-934-5625

3. Manila Area (DSWD-NCR)
San Rafael corner Legarda Streets, Quiapo, Manila
Contact: Dir. Thelsa P. Biolna, Dir. Delia Bauan Tel Nos. 734-8622, 734-8642

In USA:
ANCOP Foundation USA
http://www.ancopusa.org

You may also donate through the American and Canadian RedCross 1-800-435-7669

In UK:
Oxfam: https://www.oxfam.org.uk/donate/phil…oods/index.php

More ways to donate (via Google)
http://www.google.com/landing/typhoon-ondoy.html

ANY FILIPINOS AFFECTED BY THE FLOOD CAN FIND A LIST OF SHELTERS AND/OR RELIEF CENTERS AND HOTLINES HERE:

http://www.gmanews.tv/story/173288/update-list-of-verified-relief-centers-for-ondoy-victims

We extend our genuine sympathy and prayers to everyone in Philippines wishing all the best and a quick return to everyday normal life for all those affected by the Ondoy Typhoon.

And purple, thanks for the concern but it would be a drastic change for most Filipinos to veer away from the shores/seas and our daily grind.

stuart
09-29-2009, 05:16 PM
MOre here:

Stuart

donmar
09-29-2009, 05:26 PM
In my opinion, the shoreline is not the problem... the problem are the government and the people themselves... politicians are full of empty promises and lack of political will to update the drainage or sewerage system in the country... the people, on the other hand, keep throwing rubbishes everywhere... so when there's a flood those garbages are bound to block the drainages...

P.S. thanks Stuart!

durden_tyler
09-29-2009, 05:39 PM
In my opinion, the shoreline is not the problem... the problem are the government and the people themselves... politicians are full of empty promises and lack of political will to update the drainage or sewerage system in the country... the people, on the other hand, keep throwing rubbishes everywhere... so when there's a flood those garbages are bound to block the drainages...

P.S. thanks Stuart!

The government is doing just fine. Outside politicking in the relief programs, everyone is pitching in from politicians to normal citizens.

If you actually heard the news nothing could prepare the country from Ondoy--- it was A MONTH'S RAIN SPANNING OVER SIX HOURS. There's really only so much you can do even after weather forecasts and government, local units warnings.

It was simply nature at its best (or at its worst, depending on the way you look at it)

donmar
09-29-2009, 05:45 PM
The government is doing just fine. Outside politicking in the relief programs, everyone is pitching in from politicians to normal citizens.

If you actually heard the news nothing could prepare the country from Ondoy--- it was A MONTH'S RAIN SPANNING OVER SIX HOURS. There's really only so much you can do even after weather forecasts and government, local units warnings.

It was simply nature at its best (or at its worst, depending on the way you look at it)

I read it.. they under-estimated the typhoon and its nobody's fault... at the moment "bayanihan" at its best are everywhere... at least both admin and the divided opposition are contributing in helping people...

CoJ
09-29-2009, 07:23 PM
It's actually pointless to point fingers right now, its much more better to help as much as we can

lrd_777@yahoo.com
09-29-2009, 11:22 PM
Got this list of affected/flooded areas off an Inquirer article:

:(Hello,

I live in the US. Do you know what happened exactly in San Mateo, Rizal? In Dulong Bayan? My dad and sister lives there. I haven't been able to contact them...

kerouac82
09-30-2009, 04:04 AM
This should also serve as a wake-up call to those who plan the national budget. FYI, the Department of Science and Technology, to which PAGASA (the weather bureau) belongs, has one of the lowest budgets among the government departments. They simply cannot afford things like Doppler radar systems and such. Also, delivery takes a long time -- I think they ordered a Doppler radar unit a couple of years ago but it still hasn't been delivered here for one reason or another.

Also, the storm warning system has to be updated. The current system is based mostly on wind speeds. They must find a way to factor in the volume of rain that is projected to fall and the impact it will have on affected areas.

durden_tyler
09-30-2009, 06:08 AM
Hello,

I live in the US. Do you know what happened exactly in San Mateo, Rizal? In Dulong Bayan? My dad and sister lives there. I haven't been able to contact them...

Good luck sir. Wish we could be of more help. Do contact the local numbers given in various sites.

alien space bats
09-30-2009, 08:00 AM
This should also serve as a wake-up call to those who plan the national budget. FYI, the Department of Science and Technology, to which PAGASA (the weather bureau) belongs, has one of the lowest budgets among the government departments. They simply cannot afford things like Doppler radar systems and such. Also, delivery takes a long time -- I think they ordered a Doppler radar unit a couple of years ago but it still hasn't been delivered here for one reason or another.

Also, the storm warning system has to be updated. The current system is based mostly on wind speeds. They must find a way to factor in the volume of rain that is projected to fall and the impact it will have on affected areas.

UP has been producing too much politicians and less and less scientists. i think UP engineers are not even at par with Mapuans.

it's about time congress creates a government-subsidized science and technology institute.

durden_tyler
09-30-2009, 08:21 AM
UP has been producing too much politicians and less and less scientists. i think UP engineers are not even at par with Mapuans.

it's about time congress creates a government-subsidized science and technology institute.

Pardon the ignorance, but do we have the technology to prepare for this kind of disasters?

donmar
09-30-2009, 08:24 AM

Thats true.. the government choose different fields (economy, defense, climate change, elections, their pockets) to focus the national budgets and the Dept. of Science and Technology, just like as other departments, have lesser budgets and its hard for them to upgrade or develop something when they can only afford are to pay their employees...

kerouac82
09-30-2009, 09:03 AM

I don't think it's fair to put the blame on UP alone, or any single institution for that matter. It's the lack of opportunity here that's driving engineering graduates (from all schools, mind you) to jobs abroad. Not to belittle call center agents, but did you know that an ECE's starting salary is almost the same as an agent's? People put premium on accent more than on technical know-how.

The government should give more funding to DOST scholars and research institutes, and subsidize S&T education for all. Hell, it can't even fund a new building for my alma mater (PSHS) to replace the one that burned last year!

Ejinathan
09-30-2009, 05:57 PM
I have a question and i rly need an answer cause it freaks me out. So my gf lives in Bulacan , Antonio StMa. Soccoro marilao subdivision. Did something happened tehre because for like almost a week my gf wasnt online and she always go online. I'm feeling so stupid not to know whats happening here. I hope any of you people knows about that place. The family name is Collantes if anyone would know them.

trang101
10-01-2009, 08:08 AM
This is an interesting discussion. thank you for sharing

alien space bats
10-01-2009, 09:05 AM
I don't think it's fair to put the blame on UP alone, or any single institution for that matter. It's the lack of opportunity here that's driving engineering graduates (from all schools, mind you) to jobs abroad. Not to belittle call center agents, but did you know that an ECE's starting salary is almost the same as an agent's? People put premium on accent more than on technical know-how.

The government should give more funding to DOST scholars and research institutes, and subsidize S&T education for all. Hell, it can't even fund a new building for my alma mater (PSHS) to replace the one that burned last year!

i'm not blaming UP. i just said that UP produces more politicians than scientists.

alien space bats
10-01-2009, 09:07 AM
Pardon the ignorance, but do we have the technology to prepare for this kind of disasters?

no, we do not have the technology but yes we have the common sense to prepare for disasters such as this one.

durden_tyler
10-01-2009, 12:01 PM
Another storm is coming.

http://www.pagasa.dost.gov.ph/wb/sat_images/satellite.gif

MANILA - Weather bureau PAGASA on Thursday said typhoon Pepeng (international codename Parma) is forecast to bring more rains and very strong winds in Northern Luzon including Metro Manila once it makes landfall Saturday afternoon.

"There is a big possibility that it will become a supertyphoon. This is a very strong storm, packing winds of 175 kilometers per hour and gusts of up to 210 kph. Most likely it will make landfall in the afternoon of Saturday. That is when it is most critical," Nathaniel Cruz, PAGASA director for operations, said in a press briefing.

Cruz said Pepeng is much stronger than last Saturday's tropical storm Ondoy (international codename Ketsana), which brought record amounts of rainfall and triggered the worst flooding in Metro Manila in 40 years.

Ejinathan
10-01-2009, 01:58 PM
Why no one answers. I rly need to know something. I would understand no one went there but still ><

Alex07
10-01-2009, 02:39 PM
Guys around the metro let's get prepared for tomorrow..."Pepeng" is said to be category 5 typhoon around 215-240 kph probably as strong as "Katrina" .."Ondoy" is nothing compared to this beast...let's all pray to God that we all be ok...Expected to hit Metro Manila at 9:30 pm tomorrow.I don't want to scare you guys but let's be prepared for tomorrow.

Sz92FAlfKuA

purple
10-01-2009, 06:28 PM
hey guys, i hope you are all good, be prepared and safe..

Why no one answers. I rly need to know something. I would understand no one went there but still

i hope you get some news asap from your girlfriend...in the first page of this thread, there are some Emergency numbers .. maybe you can get some info from that.

Ejinathan
10-01-2009, 08:50 PM
hey guys, i hope you are all good, be prepared and safe..

i hope you get some news asap from your girlfriend...in the first page of this thread, there are some Emergency numbers .. maybe you can get some info from that.

At last she could contact me but ye she got hits from it. This whole things gets on my nerves but ye everyone there is living in a fuked up situation.

kerouac82
10-02-2009, 04:49 AM
Guys around the metro let's get prepared for tomorrow..."Pepeng" is said to be category 5 typhoon around 215-240 kph probably as strong as "Katrina" .."Ondoy" is nothing compared to this beast...let's all pray to God that we all be ok...Expected to hit Metro Manila at 9:30 pm tomorrow.I don't want to scare you guys but let's be prepared for tomorrow.

Sz92FAlfKuA

I plan to work half-day today. Will go straight to Fairview and stock up on necessities. Candles, food, beer... Well maybe not that last one.

You all stay safe, guys.

stuart
10-03-2009, 12:42 AM
Good luck to everyone in the Philippines. You will be in my thoughts for sure...

Stuart

durden_tyler
10-03-2009, 07:50 AM
As of 1PM, the storm has reached the Northern Part of the Philippines, that is the bit of the good news since the previously hit areas (somewhere in the middle of RP) can now take a breath and at least won't have to deal with another typhoon which directly hits their area.

http://www.pagasa.dost.gov.ph/wb/tcsatellite.gif

Of course, i do hope our brothers up north are (more than) prepared compared to last week.

SunOverHStreet
10-03-2009, 08:29 AM
I'm hoping that everything is gonna be alright! Hold on guys!

jramoyo
10-05-2009, 12:12 PM
i'm not blaming UP. i just said that UP produces more politicians than scientists.

come on, you don't know that.

ultimate_baller24
09-25-2010, 04:31 PM
I'm hoping that everything is gonna be alright! Hold on guys!

today 26th of September exactly 1yr ago typhoon "ondoy" striked the heart of the philippines."ondoy "made Filipinos unite for one cause during that tragic times. .it made us a lot stronger as a nation.hoping there will be no "ondoy" in the following years.or at least we must be more cautious and always be prepared in times like this. .and one thing PAGASA should be modernize if we have the budget for it.:)