PDA

View Full Version : I'm so sick of these excuses...

geohunk
08-16-2006, 02:48 AM
Asiad stint out of picture, brunei cup line-up

Chot: Asiad stint out of picture
By JOEL ORELLANA, The Manila Times Reporter

As far as Chot Reyes is concerned, an Asian Games stint for the Philippine basketball team is now out of the picture.The national team mentor, who arrived Monday from Taiwan, said the team will go back to its original plan—and the quadrennial event in Doha, Qatar, this December will not be on it.

"I’m speaking for myself. Hindi na namin iniisip ang Asian Games. For one thing, the Asian Games is right smack [during] the PBA tournament," said Reyes, who was recently appointed as the new head coach of San Miguel Beer in the Philippine Basketball Association."But I don’t know what the stand of the PBA is on this.

Our plan now is to stick to the original plan, which is to concentrate for the Asian qualifier next year for the 2008 Olympics in Beijing, China," Reyes added.The International Basketball Federation has suspended the country from all events it sanctions, but when the RP five competed in the Qatari four-nation tournament last week, word spread that the suspension has already been lifted.Reyes admitted that he does not know where his team stands right now, but he is quite satisfied with the way it has developed.

"From the time of the ABC Champions Cup here up to the Lebanon series, you could really see how the team has progressed playing together, plus the fact that they played well [against Lebanon] even when I was in Taiwan is really something," Reyes stated.The Nationals, behind the seven three-pointers of Renren Ritualo, walloped the Lebanese national team last Sunday, 94-75, in the first of a two-game goodwill series. The last game is scheduled Wednesday at 7 in the evening at the San Juan gymnasium.Consultant Norman Black handled the RP quintet as Reyes was in Taiwan with the Beermen in a tournament.

The latter will now handle the national team.After the Lebanon series, Reyes will shift his focus to the coming Sultan’s Cup in Brunei on August 19 to 26, where the Filipinos are the defending champions.The national mentor had trouble with who to field in for the Brunei tournament, but PBA teams again agreed to lend their players to the RP team despite their own preparations for the coming season on October 1."I would like to thank the PBA board, especially the teams that allowed their players to play for this tournament," Reyes added.

The Phone Pals have released Ritualo, Jimmy Alapag, Asi Taulava and Don Allado for the tournament despite a previous commitment in China, which will fall in the last week of August.Also suiting up for the Brunei joust are Ranidel de Ocampo of Air21, Mick Pennisi of Red Bull, Coca-Cola’s Dennis Miranda, Willie Miller and Mike Cortez of Alaska and Beermen’s Danny Seigle, Dondon Hontiveros and Dorian Peńa.

Pro-bound Kelly Williams was originally listed on the team, but the tournament will coincide with the coming Rookie Draft on August 20. Barangay Ginebra is also entered in the Brunei cagefest as a separate team.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is pathetic....So i guess its more important to represent the country in a so-so backwater, unimportant tournament like the brunei Cup than the Asian Games, an event that is held once every 4 years where the best of Asia compete for the gold. Yup, just like what the coach of lebanon was implying in a comment he made yesterday, we are just contented in sending "joke" teams to tournaments that matter. This has got to stop. I mean yes I understand the PBA had to reformat its schedule to accomodate FIBA sponsored tournaments, and that the Asian games is right in the middle of the PBA season, but guys, no matter what this is still the ASian Games!!! Where the best of asia compete! When was the last time we ever won the gold medal in this one??! As a matter of fact if Coach chot is trying to say that were preparing for other bigger things next year, wouldn't the Asian games be a perfect place to hone and improve the national team? Even if we dont win the gold, at least for the experience factor if we could send the best team there? Anyway that seems to be coach chot's favorite excuse everytime his team loses in tournaments. That is jus pathetic, and I'm tired of hearing his lame whining and alibis. I mean no offense to him and his staff, i'm sure they are doing what they can for our team, but so far what have they got to show for it? And his comments in the media every time we lose seems to imply that he's half hearted in his efforts! honestly! Damn, if the Pba is serious in restoring our image, they had better send a team to the ASian games w/c will be the last major basketball event for this year, and if we send our best team, i'm pretty sure we could do good and who knows maybe even win a medal..as a matter of fact, we've gotta aim high and go for the gold and not coach chot's goddam pessimistic attitude, which is pissing me off!! Man, if he screws up tonight and loses to Lebanon, since he'll be taking over from Coach Black,,i say we fire him and get another national coach instead! Seriously we have been nothing but jokes in international tournaments lately, and so far I havent seen any great achievements of our team under coach chot.
And thats my two cents on it...!

jramoyo
08-16-2006, 02:57 AM
well, to be honest... very few nations care about the asian games... its the ABC championship that really matters... and besides, we are suspended anyway so we really can't play in the asiad...

sickcurtain_16
08-16-2006, 03:03 AM
I think what coach chot has been thinking is that, if the ban is lifted, then they play. If not, then what can he do? so rather than torturing his own mind thinking about that, then they just continue preparing on the games where they can surely play.

ctongco
08-16-2006, 03:03 AM
Hi, I think the reason why coach chot is not considering sending a team to the Asian Games is because we can not participate in this event (Basketball) because we are still suspended by FIBA and the Asian Games (Correct me if I am mistaken.) is a FIBA sanctioned event.

As far as my stand for coach chot. I think we should still keep him win or lose tonight. Sure, he had a lot of very dissapointing and embarassing loses by he also had us won many games. Take for example the Brunei Cup last year. I know it is more like a friendly tournament but since we can't participate in any FIBA sanctioned tournament then this would do fine. Another would be the Jones cup last year where we had a lot of injuries with the top players of the team we had there.

Anyway, I still hope we could send a strong team to the Asian Games.

good day!

geohunk
08-16-2006, 03:07 AM
Very few nations?? really now?..lets see, you've got Japan, Korea, China, Qatar, Taiwan......jus to name a few,,and uhm....gee......arent these teams like the powerhouses right now in Asia? oh yea......well.........its just the Asiad......uhuh.....yea......its not like its held every 4 years.....uhm uhuh.....and i guess they don't call it the asian version of the olympics.....no sir-ee......yup......yea, whats another gold medal anyway huh..yup..oh wait..we dont have one...OOOPS....
And last i heard i think theyre lifting our suspension anyways....

sickcurtain_16
08-16-2006, 03:16 AM
If it's lifted then they play. I'ts not actually an excuse. It is just a matter of giving the jobs to those who should do it. DOes he have any control for the lifting of the suspension? I guess, he's also getting tired of receiving gossips and murmurs about the lifting of the suspension.

He didn't tell that they will not play but he said, he's not thinking or worrying about it. Why should someone worry with something which is out of his control?

Saskibaloia
08-16-2006, 03:18 AM
well, to be honest... very few nations care about the asian games... its the ABC championship that really matters...

Exactly what I was about to say.

Saskibaloia
08-16-2006, 03:21 AM
Very few nations?? really now?..lets see, you've got Japan, Korea, China, Qatar, Taiwan......jus to name a few,,and uhm....gee......arent these teams like the powerhouses right now in Asia? oh yea......well.........its just the Asiad......uhuh.....yea......its not like its held every 4 years.....uhm uhuh.....and i guess they don't call it the asian version of the olympics.....no sir-ee......yup......yea, whats another gold medal anyway huh..yup..oh wait..we dont have one...OOOPS....
And last i heard i think theyre lifting our suspension anyways....

You have to ask yourself do these teams send their best?
No.
Okay the East Asian countries do send their best such as China & Korea however, Japan doesn't (just ask Samurai in the Asia-basket.com forum) or the 6 top teams from the Middle East: Lebanon, Jordan, Syria, Iran, Saudi Arabia or even Qatar.
ABC is the one that matters most because as we all know it is the tournament to qualify for the Olympics or the World Championships.

geohunk
08-16-2006, 03:34 AM
well okay then..if most of these teams dont send there best like what your saying...well heck...i guess we gotta better chance of getting the GOLD now don't we..?? especially if we send our best team...get the point? I mean we havent won top honors in any important tournament lately, and you've got to be kidding yourself if the Asian games is not an important one at all..please...Yes it may not be the ABC or the Olympics..but nevertheless it is a prestigious tournament, moreso than the Jones cup or even the Brunei Cup...and about our suspension.. if rumors are true that its gonna be lifted.. then by all means the PBA should send the best to the asiad..specifically the team that Coach chot plans to send to the ABC/ olympic qualifiers next year since i think it'll be a great tune up for that at the same time...I'm sure the competition level at this years Asiad will be pretty good....

jramoyo
08-16-2006, 03:53 AM
ok... but my point is... as long as the coach cares about the next ABC championship, i am not worried...

asapa11
08-16-2006, 03:53 AM
this is Bull$#!+!! we always participate in the Asiad Olympic Qualifier! WHo said asia doesnt care about this tournament?!?! why does china even bother to send their best in this tournament?? the same goes for S. Korea, Qatar, Japan, Taiwan! they all send their Best in this tournament and so do we! we get our respect from asia from this tournament, this is wwhere we show them what we really are made of in the last 4-16 years or so! we have faced the likes of Yao Ming, Wang Zhizhi, Bateer Menk, Ri Myong eun, Moon Kyung eun, Seo Jang Hoon, Lee Kyu SUp, Lee Sang min, Takehiko Orimo, Michael Takahashi, Chen CHih lung, Kang Dong Hee, Hur Jae, Hu wei dong, Yaseen ISmail and many other asian basketball greats in this tournament! and right now is not the best time to back out of it! if we should develop our team we should join this tournament so that we could have a taste of what we really are up against in asia! damn it!

We should really be out there and playing!
If im not mistaken i believe that FIBA doesnt control this tournament, or if so, i believe fiba has already suggested that we try and see if the RP team could participate in the asiad tournament. On the other hand FIBA is going to lift the ban soon anyways and hopefully it will be very soon!

sickcurtain_16
08-16-2006, 03:54 AM
Well, you got a point there. But then, it may be that coach chot said those things just out of dismay of what's happening to our present basketball leaders and bodies. We all have the same hopes here i think.;)

nestea_z
08-16-2006, 03:57 AM
the asian games is definitely more prestigious than the brunei cup and jones cup, if we can send a team for these events why can't we send one in the asian games(if the the fiba ban is lifted), coach chot once said that it is a good learning experienced to compete with strong teams. and i believe that other asian countries are sending their best, why can't we? if the pba is saying that there would be a conflict in schedule during that time, why not take a pba break, didn't they did that during the mvp cup(badminton tournament)? where there is an ongoing finals between red bull and purefoods, they took a week long break? if they can do that then, then they can do it again.

erektus
08-16-2006, 04:01 AM
Yes, I am also getting tired of excuses.

But we have to understand that it is Coach Chot's job to give PR-friendly comments to the media since, being an employee of a private entity, he is at the behest of the PBA board and his corporate sponsor, SMB. He really has no say except to wait for an official decision.

The last time he spoke his mind (and heart) about the NT last year, he got the ire of some quarters, particularly Air21's Lito Alvarez. Now, he's watching his mouth. He knows now that what we need is unity and not further division.

He kept his words to himself about the Lebanon and Brunei series, and look now -- all the teams suddenly lent their players in a gesture of generosity. Isn't it nice that even Air21, a known BAP ally, has shown willingness to lend its top players to our NT?

Deep in his heart, I'm sure, all he wants to do is kick the assess of Asia's basketball powers.

As a coach, though, he's really taking a nosedive lately. But I think he's more a victim of circumstances. The suspension really ruined our momentum because it demoralized our players, key players started skipping practices, the teams lost interest in lending their players, we missed the major tournaments, etc. PBA teams still run a business and businessmen hate uncertainty; give them certainty and they will give you the support and $$.

If there was no suspension in the first place, we would have kept the team intact, sent our "best team" in all the major tourneys, and peak just in time for 2007. Now, it seems we're starting all over again. If we are frustrated, Chot must feel frustrated 10 times more.

If we are to replace Chot, though, I would suggest a coach in the mold of a Yeng Guiao or a Bobby Jaworski who emphasize mental toughness (angas) and gamespeed tactical adjustments.

Chot is a cerebral coach, but he is more academic and strategic in orientation rather than tactical. Strategy lets you see the whole picture and develop a whole basketball program or even a game plan, but practical tactics allow you to make the quick adjustments to win a game (especially in international tourneys where you are likely to play an opponent only once and have no second chance to make adjustments).

"Angas" in a coach is definitely important because it rubs off on his players. It's the main ingredient that has made Jaworski and Yeng successful. Their players are all mentally tough and have no fear. And it's something our players now lack when playing internationally. We have somehow lost that "Kobe Bryant swagger" we were used to be known for, partly because of a lack of international exposure, and partly because the other countries have gained confidence and now look down on us.

This is why our pro players have trouble even defeating a bunch of Australian teenagers, because white players play cocky and would never accept getting defeated by a bunch of lowly Pinoys (whom everybody should beat by 40 pts, according to the BAP).

Chot is also a "fiery" coach in a way. I recall in the recent Jones Cup, he told KG Canaleta (who looked tentative and opted to pass rather than take it strong to the hoop in a fastbreak situation), "Pare, KG Canaleta ka. Dakdakan mo ang mga P$%@ I%$# yan!". And look at KG now, slamming it at every opportunity. It's also safe to say that our young turks such as Tenorio and Yeo, who played "scared" in Taipei, now realize that they left their toughness and status in the UAAP and PBL and should upgrade to be successful internationally. That's what exposure gives you.

Chot can always stay as Team Pilipinas program director in the event he slides down as head coach. Ala Jerry Colangelo of USA Basketball? =P Otherwise, I say give him a chance.

sickcurtain_16
08-16-2006, 04:09 AM
You got it so right man!

Yeah, the interest is going down due to the circumstances we are facing right now. How would the player's mother teams be that eager to share your players if the chances to play internationally is very dim? It's like risking your own player's health for something which is not sure.

asapa11
08-16-2006, 04:37 AM
i just want to see our rp team in action against the best the world can offer!

in this case lets see what the best asia can offer

in both the asiad and in the fiba asia championships

jrb0yd
08-16-2006, 04:51 AM
about a week ago, noli eala also said that the asian games is not on the calendar of pba and it is one of the things which they will talk with the board... its just simple, asian games coincide with the pba schedule... but im not really believing that we will not participate here... if ever the suspension will be lifted, do u all think that the POC under president cojuangco will let this happen??? who will represent us in basketball??? bunch of losers??? do u think he will let that happen??? of course not! i mean, first and foremost, he was the one who called on all major stakeholders to change our basketball program so that our country would be represented well in international tournaments... do u think if ever the suspension will be lifted, they will follow that with a worse showing in asian games? poc president cojuangco is tired of seeing this, man! he has the authority and he won't allow this to happen again...!

also, i watched that when coach chot told canaleta "Pare, KG Canaleta ka. Dakdakan mo ang mga P$%@ I%$# yan!". and it was really funny!hehe...yan ang coach, yan ang pinoy! btw, its nice that danny seigle would now play with the NT in brunei cup! that's the advantage of having coach chot as the coach of SMB, since he will now be able to talk directly to the players of SMB especially danny seigle...

asapa11
08-16-2006, 05:02 AM
yeah! danny seigle is definetly good news! i cant wait to see seigle in international action again and also playing alongside asi taulava!

nestea_z
08-16-2006, 05:21 AM
about a week ago, noli eala also said that the asian games is not on the calendar of pba and it is one of the things which they will talk with the board... its just simple, asian games coincide with the pba schedule... but im not really believing that we will not participate here... if ever the suspension will be lifted, do u all think that the POC under president cojuangco will let this happen??? who will represent us in basketball??? bunch of losers??? do u think he will let that happen??? of course not! i mean, first and foremost, he was the one who called on all major stakeholders to change our basketball program so that our country would be represented well in international tournaments... do u think if ever the suspension will be lifted, they will follow that with a worse showing in asian games? poc president cojuangco is tired of seeing this, man! he has the authority and he won't allow this to happen again...!

also, i watched that when coach chot told canaleta "Pare, KG Canaleta ka. Dakdakan mo ang mga P$%@ I%$# yan!". and it was really funny!hehe...yan ang coach, yan ang pinoy! btw, its nice that danny seigle would now play with the NT in brunei cup! that's the advantage of having coach chot as the coach of SMB, since he will now be able to talk directly to the players of SMB especially danny seigle...

i don't think that the poc has any jurisdiction over the pba. if ever the ban is lifted who will fiba be recognizing? is it bap or pilipinas basketball? as far as i can remember noli eala once said that the asian games is not under the moa they signed with the bap. maybe the pba will send a strong team in the asiad if pilipinas basketball will be recognized by fiba since the pba is spearheading pilipinas basketball, if not, then the bap will send a team, i guess.

jrb0yd
08-16-2006, 05:47 AM
they don't have a jurisdcition but they have the authority to make this happen... as the head of the olympic committee, they always make sure that the best athletes are there in games like asian games, seag etc... and i also think that if bap will still be recognized, joey lina would also called on the pba for help... a team composed by the bap again? no way! even joey lina would not let that happen... bap learned their lesson!

Butata
08-16-2006, 12:03 PM
One very good reason, besides salvaging lost pride, in sending the best possible national team to the Doha Asiad is precisely because it will be held in Qatar, where thousands of Filipino OFWs make their hard-earned cash. Every win will be a tremendous inspiration to the OFWs and a medal finish will be so much better.

Maybe the reason Chot Reyes is hearing talks that the FIBA ban will be lifted soon is because Doha Asiad organizers would love to have the Philippines in the basketball tournament since this will automatically fill-up their venue, for RP games at least, w/c will make them look good, organization-wise.

Btw, the Far East nations usually do send their best NTs in the Asian Games and since this will be held in the Mid East this year, expect the likes of Lebanon, Iran and Jordan to also send their best unlike in the past when Lebanon did not bother to send a team at all.

Chot looks as if he lost his usual fiery competetiveness with comments that the Asian Games is out of the picture. Man, if preparing for a possible Beijing Olympic slot is his goal, he must use all his influence to convince the PBA Board to allow the strongest players for Doha, assuming the FIBA ban is lifted soon. He already lost one FIBA-Asia championship because of the suspension and the Asian Games is the best logical preparatory tournament prior to the 2007 FIBA-Asia Championship w/c he is ultimately preparing for. Plus there's no need to pre-qualify (no need for a SEABA tournament).

Is Chot afraid to lose in the Asian Games? I hope not. otherwise, his legacy might be confined to being the national coach who won us one or two Brunei Cups. That's pathetic!!!

jrb0yd
08-16-2006, 05:11 PM
i just read this article... i guess chot was just really tired of losing that's why he said those things...

SMB-Pilipinas makes it two over Lebanon
By Nelson Beltran
The Philippine Star 08/17/2006

San Miguel-Pilipinas coach Chot Reyes said they deserve to play in the coming Asian Games in Doha, Qatar after making it two in a row over second-ranked Asian team Lebanon.

The Nationals ran the breaks very well and shot steadily from afar on set-up offense to whip the Lebanese, 105-100, for the second straight time before a sparse crowd at the San Juan Gym last night.

Renren Ritualo made five three-pointers while Mick Pennisi, Jimmy Alapag, Willie Miller, Kelly Williams and Ranidel de Ocampo combined for nine triples as the Nationals duplicated their 19-point blowout of the Lebanese Wednesday at the Astrodome.

"Masaya ako na nanghihinayang. We’ve beaten Asian No. 3 team Qatar then we swept the No. 2 team Lebanon but we’re not playing in Saitama," said Reyes.

The Nationals leave Monday for Brunei to compete in the 2006 Sultan Cup then the RP team program will be put on hold until after the FIBA Congress during the World Championship in Saitama, Japan.

"We have three prayers. One is for our sports leaders to get united, second the FIBA gets enlightened and decides to lift our suspension and third we be allowed to play again," said Reyes.

"Everybody’s saying we deserve to play in the Asian Games. We’re as ready as we can be. I’m sure the players want to play," Reyes added.

"We’re ready as long as I have the right team. Here, I had the team I wanted," said Reyes in breaking his 10-game losing skid in international plays.

The Nationals repeated their 94-75 rout of the Lebanese Wednesday, overcoming a slow start and a 33-point explosion of Lebanese star all-round player Fadi El Khatib.

Pennisi banged the last of his three three-pointers with time down to 1:03 then, after a missed three-point attempt by Brian Bechara, Jimmy Alapag made a charity as San Miguel-Pilipinas all but wrapped up the win at 102-98.

The Nationals took a 46-44 edge at halftime but not after falling behind by 14 points early on.

A triple and a fastbreak layup by Miller had the host team surging ahead for the first time at 38-37 with 2:20 to go in the opening half.

"There’s no difference in the game plan we had Wednesday. Ang nagbago lang mindset. I told the boys we can’t win this game bringing the same intensity Sunday. The Lebanese will surely come out strong off a two-day break," said Reyes.

RayV
08-16-2006, 05:37 PM
Whew, and I thought he had no intention of taking part in the Asiad....that was a relief....:)

anifarap
08-16-2006, 05:58 PM
The problem with the schedule of the PBA are the players. Are the team owners willing to sacrifice their teams by lending their players to the RP squad? Will the PBA do another special conference so that the RP team will have more familiarity with each other? Remember Alaska who blew their chances for a Grand Slam when they gave up Duremdes, Abarrientos, Lastimosa to the 1998 Asiad. Whoever is selected for the RP team will have a very difficult time to practice with his ballclub and practice with the RP team. So whoever is selected for the RP team will have to give up his ballclub. The RP team will also have to play tune-up games overseas again and this will definitely disrupt the PBA schedule. If the owners can make sacrifices to lend their players, the PBA will have a dip on attendance. The fans wont watch the games because the superstars are not on their team. Are the owners willing to sacrifice WINS and $$$ for flag and country? And as far as PBA history is concerned, every season that they play in the ASIAD, the PBA suffers from poor attendance.

This is a big gamble for the PBA. If the PBA wants to get back to their glory days, there is no better way than to stomp their rivals in ASIA. No amount of advertisements and gimmicks will bring the fans back than to prove to the world that the PBA is the best in ASIA. They should make the fans believe that they are watching the BEST brand of basketball in ASIA.

If you are the team owner, will you gamble your business for a high risk investment?

RayV
08-16-2006, 06:04 PM
But hey, when they had that special conference, they did very well during the Asiad where we placed 4th(or 3rd) di ba?? We also became champions at the Jones cup.... :D

jrb0yd
08-16-2006, 06:12 PM
actually when there were still a pba season going, some of the NT players are attending the practice of the NT... among these are hontiveros, taulava, dela cruz, etc...that's why when there was an exhibition game with the NBA legends, coach chot selected the players who attends the NT practice regularly... i think the team owners allow them to practice for the NT at least for once a week... it is only up to the players if they want to attend...

and yeah i agree that the pba should not come up with those bullshit programs like pba entertainment, pba advertisement, etc... it sucks! what people wants is to see a NT competing against the best overseas... maybe pba should give way to the asian games for 2 weeks... why don't they just make the 2 week break an early xmas vacation...

anifarap
08-16-2006, 06:51 PM
They moved the PBA finals for the MVP CUP. Why not for the ASIAD? Is the MVP Cup more prestigious than the ASIAN games?

sickcurtain_16
08-17-2006, 02:51 AM
yup. how about a two week rest for pba? If they can give way for another sport, then why not with basketball?

DimeDropper
08-17-2006, 06:26 AM
Yeah...!

Why not even pass a law, requiring all Filipino athletes, in this case these basketball players, to respond in a National "Call of Duty."

Meaning, this 'national call of duty' demands any Filipino to participate, conduct and risk himself for the sake of the country's pride and glory. Much like what they apply in the military. The directive should be passed and approved by no other than the President herself. And if an athlete doesn't want to answer the call, he will be sanctioned and reprimanded.

This will be beyond business interests and politics. The public will have to choose the players who will participate by online poll. And as more popular in Filipino tech, by SMS poll.:D

Man..., we are talking here of "The Filipino." Once Asia's greatest nation. We should be 'up there' in any venues we can. And that means even the Asiad. We should send our best players and WIN the Jones Cup, be No. 1 in the Asian Basketball Tournament, the lowly Brunei Cup, The Sultan Cup all the basketball tournaments, man. " We should win them all and be Number One."

Take it from the Philippine billiards players. They join almost all available tournaments and win them as much as they can. Be it for money, pride or national glory. And look what and where the Filipino is in this sport?

C'mon, let the national basketball team play and regain Asia's Number One status, and you'll be one of the World's best afterwards.

China, can't beat a lower-classed American team (or maybe even a European) but they are considered as one of the powerhouses in the world. They even attract global attention, even though only one of their players can 'actually' play in the NBA. They also become a prime magnet for more multinational basketball business ventures because of their "Asian" status in the sport. (Think of country first, 'money' will come next. If that's what they want to hear.)

Just imagine a small country like the Philippines (re)gaining the Asian crown for basketball. Look at the possibilities...

I believe you know all of them...

slimsh
08-17-2006, 11:26 PM
We should send Northern Consolidated Cement team!!!

Allan Caidic
Arthur Engelland
Hector Calma
Samboy Lim
Jeff Moore
Dennis Still
Ricardo Brown

* All amateur team that went on to represent the Philippines and capturing the 1984 Asian Club Basketball Champions' Cup, the 1985 William Jones Cup championship and represent the Asian region in the 1985 World Club Basketball Championship at Gerona, Spain.

In 1985, San Miguel Philippines, as a national team, also won the the 1985 South East Asian Games and the 1985-1986 FIBA Asian Basketball Championship. The team qualified for the 1986 FIBA World Basketball Championship but the team disbanded, due to political crisis that leads to the Philippine People Power Revolution, and failed to compete to the World Championship.

RayV
08-18-2006, 04:53 PM
Ahhh....politics....the "cancer" that's always been holding us back.....not only in Philippine basketball but the whole country's development as well....

bekshoot
08-20-2006, 05:33 PM
Philippines is full of politics.... even in our favorite sports.... let's just hope and pray that FIBA will lift our suspension...