Brunei Actor Wu Chun played against Yao, ZhiZhi

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brunei Actor Wu Chun played against Yao, ZhiZhi

I thought this was a pretty cool article. A famous actor from Brunei played basketball against Yao Ming and Wang Zhizhi in a youth tournament in the Philippines. Brunei was slaughtered by nearly 100 points....

Bruneian Chinese actor Wu Chun said he was interested in investing in a basketball club, as he recalled a match against Yao Ming in their teens.

Stuart

Brunei actor played against Yao Ming
    BANDAR SERI BEGAWAN, Brunei: Bruneian Chinese actor Wu Chun said he was interested in investing in a basketball club, as he recalled a match against Yao Ming in their teens.

"It (Investing in a basketball team) is a pretty good idea, and perhaps one day I will buy one," the businessman-turned actor told China Daily in an interview on Aug 9, without elaborating.

Wu, 30, is an ardent fan of basketball legend Michael Jordan. He still remembered the result of the game between Brunei and China at an Asian tournament for teens in the Philippines.

"It was 126:28, we lost," he said. "I was 14 or 15 then." Wu played against China's two most powerful giants - Yao Ming, now NBA Houston Rockets center, and Wang Zhizhi, a former NBA player who is now the center of Bayi Shuanglu Rockets of China.

"The Chinese players were so tall, and all rebounds were theirs," Wu said.

During the match, a much smaller Wu had to confront Yao, because Wu was already one of the tallest of his team. No record on the three's heights at the time was available.

Wu is now 1.83 m tall, compared with Wang's 2.14 m and Yao's 2.26 m. But Wu still managed to be the top scorer of his team at that match, with 10 points, a performance "already handsome enough", he said. China won the title of the tournament that year.

Wu said sports have become part of his life and bring him business opportunities. Wu earned his first bucket of gold, B$1,000 ($700), at the age of 14 by organizing a basketball tournament in Brunei. He now runs two gymnasiums in the Southeast Asian nation and plans to open the third in January.

Wu said he was approached by some investors to launch gymnasiums on the Chinese mainland.

"I will invest in big cities," he said, naming Shanghai as a possible place.

A member of Taiwan pop band Fahrenheit, Wu gained an initial success after he played a part in Taiwan idol TV drama Tokyo Juliet in 2005. TV drama Hanazakarino Kimitachihe, adapted from a Japanese cartoon in 2006, made him a star in the Chinese community.

In both dramas, Wu acted a student. His first movie Sword Butterfly, based on a Chinese classic romance, was put on show last year. His second movie, 14 Blazes, has been completed. The starring includes Hong Kong action star Donnie Yen and mainland actress Zhao Wei. The movie tells a story of special government agents in the Ming Dynasty (1368 - 1644) and Wu acts a judge.
    http://www.facebook.com/interbasket
    http://www.twitter.com/interbasket
    http://www.interbasket.net

I posted this a year ago:
    Originally posted by sinobball View Post
    Has anyone watched Jay Chou's "Kungfu Dunk", where people who don't even look like they have ever played in their life were flying everywhere dunking? Just to show you there is no end to this, there is a new Taiwanese show "Hot Shot" (2008.07.25 on TVB)

One of the 3 leads, Wu Chun, was actually a National Team player for ... Brunei, which means nothing I guess. But the other 2, at least from the clips on youtube look like have absolutely no clue how to play basketball. Oh well..
    Actually there are many youtube videos showing Wu Chun "showcasing" his basketball dribbling skills etc. Sure he's better than most Asian "idols" but I guess 80% of the IBN members can beat him 1-on-1 and it is a waste of time to watch those videos. "Fahrenheit" is extremely popular in Greater China, Japan and some S/E Asian countries, but quite honestly like many Asian boy bands none of them can sing worth a damn either.... I guess I will stop here lest their crazy (female) fans start attacking IBN...
    aim low, score high

Comment

Don't tell me you didn't find out about this until now. He still speaks Taiwanese with a small accent and gets shit from it from his other Fahrenheit group members lol

Comment

Speaking of Taiwanese entertainment figures, Blackie Chen is a better ball player. In fact he's currently in Tianjin.

Chen is the man in blue and an acquaintance of Yi.

Here is a video of Blackie Chen & Wu Chun dribbling the basketball if you have too much time to waste.
        aim low, score high

Comment

Working...
        X

Debug Information